Can someone please explain to me how to use a counter in siemens S7

Dave85

Can someone please explain to me how to use a counter in siemens S7. After reading and simulating both the up and down counters in S7, they work totally different compared to counters in allen bradley RSlogix 500-5000. For up counters in S7, once the count is greater than zero the ouput (Q) is engerized. This means the counters does not turn on once the preset value is reached for example if the PV is 10. So how can I use counters in S7 or what's the purpose of using counters because they don't turn Q(output) on once the preset value is reached as in RSlogix 500-5000?

Use the IEC compliant counters from the standard library rather than the built in counters. Highlight the instruction/block and then Press F1 to get help.

sfb0.jpg

It leads me to ask Why are there standard counters if they are impossible to use

Can someone please explain to me how to use a counter in siemens S7. After reading and simulating both the up and down counters in S7, they work totally different compared to counters in allen bradley RSlogix 500-5000. For up counters in S7, once the count is greater than zero the ouput (Q) is engerized. This means the counters does not turn on once the preset value is reached for example if the PV is 10. So how can I use counters in S7 or what's the purpose of using counters because they don't turn Q(output) on once the preset value is reached as in RSlogix 500-5000?

In Step 7, if you use the standard counter, you would normally use a count down and monitor for the counter bit to turn off.

If I say, that those counters and timers are called s5 timers and counters, you get the picture. Legacy burden that should not be used in new programs, rather use IEC ones.