AB 9300-8EDM as a firewall ?

Johnster

Hey ya'll,
I should know this, but between busyness and reading AB literature I can't see the forest from the trees.

A previous engineer put in a new (air-gapped) network into our coal yard (Controllogix, wonderware...)
The plant wants to connect that coal yard network to our Historian server - which is on its own, data collection only, network.
FYI- the Historian network is also firewalled away from the corporate network.

This 9300-8EDM is sitting on my desk, I think that the intent was to use it to seperate the Historian network from the coal yard network, but allow you to bring tags in so the historian can track things in the coal yard.

Anyone else use a 9300-8EDM for this ? or is this totally the wrong piece of equipment ?

-John

That's NOT a firewall. It does allow for Vlan'ing though. If you don't Need a firewall and can live w/ virtual separation of traffic it would work.

If you do need an actual firewall, I would go with a Cisco ASA 55xx series.

Of course, Other things come into play here. Are these on the same IP range? If they aren't, You're either going to have to play w/ subnets or get a router involved at some point to get them talking.

As dravik mentioned cisco asa series are good but a tofino is easier to setup and configure,Din rail mount and is made specifically for industrial control systems.

Totally!, depends on what your Infrastructure looks like I'd imagine.

If your plant uses brand x everywhere for networking, go w/ what works and can be easily supported.