Factory Talk to SQL / Reporting

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
My customer requires SQL logging of critical info and the ability to create reports from that data, including process trends. They are asking for a server for logging the data and a client pc for reporting etc

What Rockwell products are available/ recommended

Do you have a HMI in place now? FTView SE let's you log information to any ODBC database. Besides trending from the logged data, there isn't anything available in FTView SE to make reports without writing your own VBA code. If you do use VBA code you can make reports. Rockwell also has VantagePoint to create web based trends and reports. SQL Server also has reporting capabilities.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I dont have a copy to play with, we are now generally Siemens at my company.

The custom VB is screaming 'out source it' to me :( dont have the time to learn it myself or attend training to meet the deadline.

Vantagepoint only seems to play with 'historian' and doesnt mention OBDC connectivity

I think I will make some calls tomorrow

Cheers

I know VantagePoint has a strong connection with Historian, but it can talk to Sql Server DBs too.

You can you use Factory Talk Transaction Manager (Formerly known as "RSSQL") to accomplish this if you would like. It is a tool better suited to "event" based tracking of data, whereas a "historian" is better suited for time based data collection.

There are many products that will do this for you, you just need to learn about them and determine how much data you need to collect, how often, when...etc.

I currently use Factory talk transaction manager to log to a SQL server. As for the reporting I use the query function in Excel. I have looked at other products from Rockwell and the WW Active factory and Excel is by far the best fit for me. Trying to get people to use new software is a pain and most people know excel. I provide a raw data page and they design the reports themselves. Its not as fancy but it works great and is simple to use. No more calls to design and publish reports.