DeviceNet slave to CSP server

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
OK I have what I think is going to be a good one. I nees to poll a DeviceNet slave and store the data in a Floating point and Integer locations. Then have a PLC5 poll this device and for the values in those locations.

Here is the gotcha this is for low cost OEM stuff. About 30 a year.
I Have thought of 1769-L32Exxxxx and a 1769-SDN. I looked into thePLC5 SDN. MicroLogix 1500, SDN & ENI.
I have found a RTA module that I am going to try out. Does anybody have another suggestion?

Let's find out if the 1761-NET-DNI can do this all by itself.

What is the slave device ?

What networks on the PLC-5 can we use ? DH+, RIO, ControlNet, Ethernet, DF1 ?

It is a BetaLaserMike. I don't have the model # with me or the manuals. (I'm in the shop welding tonight).
The 5 needs Ethernet. The serial port is tied up on this one unit. It might be a possibility don't the road.

Followup question on the PLC-5E; does it have new enough firmware to support "Multi-Hop", aka CIP aka EtherNet/IP ?

If you have a current project file you could just try to implement a Multi-Hop message and see if it verifies, or get the Series and Revision and we'll look it up.

I'm thinking an Anybus-X might do the job, or a combination Ethernet/RS232 and RS232-DNet link.

Yes it does multi-hop.

I didn't "THINK" EIP was supported on the 5 in any form. Can I ASSuME that I am WRONG?

PLC-style data table messaging is part of the PCCC command set and can be transmitted using DF1, DH+, classic A-B Ethernet CSP, or CIP.

It's the CIP version, termed "Multi-Hop" in RSLogix 5, that uses Port 44818 and a CIP Path to communicate with ControlLogix. Because Port 44818 and CIP Paths are part of the EtherNet/IP protocol, then this messaging could be considered EtherNet/IP. It's a tossup as to whether it's clearer to call it that, or call it "PCCC Encapsulated in CIP".

PLC-5 does not and never will support cyclic data exchange (I/O or Produced/Consumed) over Ethernet.