1756-HSC/A: how to get frequency & direction from an encoder?

Paul351W

I have an application where I will be reading a directional mag pickup (2 5v square wave outputs) with a 1756-HSC/A card to determine shaft speed and direction. I will not be concerned with travel distance or positioning.

The HSC/B card has a directional frequency built into the encoder mode, but I want to use the HSC/A card I already have.

Is there a way to use both of the inputs on the card, one in frequency, and one in encoder mode to determine speed and direction seperately?

No, you must have ser B card
Ypu can read present value in PLC and do calculations, but this will not be very accurate

Contr Conn is correct. I made a routine that ran at 50 ms. It only calculated the Delta and moved the current to previous. Nice and clean.

So I would not be able to split the signal to both channels and go that route, I would have to run it in encoder mode and count the number of counts that the card increased or decreased by over a certain time frame to calculate speed if I understand correctly.

I was hoping to use this signal to do closed loop control, that method doesn't sound like an idea solution for closed loop control.