Fast paced control net tutor

bce123

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, Guru's,experts. I have done serval searches on control net with not much luck. Does anyone of a good self help tutoral on adding nodes to an existing control net. I have a project in wich i need to add a panelview + to a controllogix controlnet network could do this via e-net but there is no cost effective way to run e-net to this location.i have attached 1 of the.cx files.The acd file ziped exceeds posting limit. any help would be nice. I just need to be sure i'm on the right track THANKS, steve also the hardware I'm adding is 2711p-rdt10c w/ 2711p-rn15s controlnet module. I would like to add an extra node? for another hmi down the road is possible? just a thought i need to do this by 9/6/2011 do i have time to learn what i need to know or should i hire this done? this is a critcal system and it is only shutdown on holidays.Thanks,

Last edited:
Panelview will be unscheduled node.
No need to add to RS5000 at all.
I did not look at your file - all below is assuming that you have an available unschduled node number.
As long as PV node in below UMAX, it should be visible in Rslinx.

Once it is visible in RSlinx, you can configure it in Studio ME and load application.
No CNET re-scheduling required in this case
Controller does not need to know if PV+ is present - PV+ will control all data exchange.

If no node # is available, then you will need to go online with RSnetworx, increase UMAX and save.

Thanks, contr con the this is one of about 6 networks I looked and it has max 10 sceduled nodes andmax 99 unscudled nodes his shows up in pending when offline with the file. just courious do you use a lot of controlnet and do you see an advantage to it over e-net the plant I.m doing this project at has spec. e- net in all new processes. but Im thinking about using controlnet for a another company since i spent the bucks onrsnetworks for control net to do this project(vendor recemondation) Thanks again, Steve

First, for this project - connect HMI over Ethernet, leave CNET along.

If you decided to touch it then you will need to go online with RSnetworx and verify UMAX. Setting UMAX to 99 is wrong, it is usually little higher than highest node number.
In your case it should be ~15 assuming you have 10 nodes based on SMAX.
You also should verify SMAX - if MUST (!) be equal to the highest scheduled node number (like I/O).
I see nothing wrong with CNET for I/O control but I would not use it for HMI due to the limited bandwith.
Go with Ethernet for all new projects for both I/O and HMI.

contr con,agian thanks for your help. there are 5 existing 1756-cnb/e mods 1 15656-ent/a mod and a1756-l63 cpu in the 1756 backplane. when i look at the 5 c-networks they all have the max unsceduled address set to 99 and the max sceduled adress set to the exact # of devices on each network. e-net is not a option due to location of this new hmi(would cost about $30,000.00 to run new pipe and wire).do I have to scedule a adress for the new HMI? Thanks, Steve

Steve

No, you do not need to schedule HMI nor add it to RSlogix5000 project
It must remain unscheduled.
Setting UMAX to 99 will have your HMIs comms extremely slow.
It will work but will be very slow.

Leave SMAX as is, add HMI as SMAX+1 node number, set UMAX to SMAX+5.
Save network - must be online with PLC in Program mode to do it.

Again, I will repeat it: I would not touch working CNET at ANY cost.
I would not touch any CNET if you never used it.

And if you do the be ready to fly somebody in for holiday weekend - It may cost you more than new Ethernet wire...

Last edited:
Thanks,contr conn. But do you know anybody cheaper than $30,000.00 LOL dont have much choice I am allready commited.sometimes the price of an education is high. but I'M not scared. if this system is working with 99 as an unsceduled max and it has o.p. push buttons via remote I/O how much slower do you think the panelview OP would be? from what i have read so far sounds like the scedule needs work anyway. I might just improve the overall system by rescedule.I just hope i can digest all the info I need to do this in time still have to self teach rs5000 and factory talk, but i like a good challenge. Thanks, Steve

Hi all, and thanks!
This project finally got installed on Tuesday 10/4/2011(just got a small shutdown 2 hours) and is complete and running. I have learned many things from this project.
1. There are LOTS of AB docs on this and I spent many hours reading these. I found many gaps in the info between the platforms 5000,FTV ME,Panelview plus and Controlnet. the Info is there just not all in one place.
2, This forum and Its EXPERTS are the best!!!:geek:
3. Once I had ALL the info this project was simple!!!
4. Cont_Con was right about controlnet and its uses It works well for Its designed use which is not HMI Com's. In this app it worked just fine however I can now see where if a lot of time critical data was being transfered it would not be a good choice. I don't like not seeing the panelview in the RSlogix tree (unscheduled)It could be confusing for someone in the future.
5. This was great hands on training!!!
6. while my learning curve was way more than I had expected I learned way more than I expected. It has already paid off as I already have a P.O. to install more of these and they will be cookie cutter. I added all the Tags and logic for these in rslogix while I edited for this one.

Thanks, To all who helped on this post and other post associated with this one. You know who you are!!🍺
Best regards ,Steve