Choose Beckhoff PLC

Bridelance

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and I hope you can answer my question!

Currently i'm busy with writing a PLC program for climate-control in a greenhouse. I'm familiar with the Beckhoff programming, so i gonna choose a Beckhoff PLC to do the job.

I found a PLC that i can buy from a friend, but how do i know if its powerfull enough?

You could say: load your program onto it, and find out :p But my program isn't finished yet (still some bugs) and the project must be finished in a few week. So I need to know if this PLC is adequate or if I have to order another one from beckhoff.

Thx for your help!

Welcome to the forum.

Despite the vagueness of your request I'll say this much - Greenhouse climate control will be very easy for a Beckhoff PLC platform to do.

However we can't say whether your friend's Beckhoff PLC has the right mix of IO to do what you need and we can't say if your program will work.

Can't find anything in the handbook either.
attachment.php
:nodi:
Yep, that is pretty much what Beckhoff documentation would look like if were printed and bound.
:ROFLMAO:

🍺

When you compile a program, it mentions the number of POU indices. It that somehow related to the difficulty of the program? It seems to get higher, if the program get longer.

When you compile a program, it mentions the number of POU indices. It that somehow related to the difficulty of the program? It seems to get higher, if the program get longer.

Yes, that is correct. You can see the objects from the Project/Options/Build/ExcludeObjects (the last is a button).

When you have done a successful build, a new button will be visible here with which you can exclude all unused objects. Saves (a lot of?) memory.

NB! I'm referring to CoDeSys 2.4 (and/or Twincat 2.11).

Kalle

Yes, that is correct. You can see the objects from the Project/Options/Build/ExcludeObjects (the last is a button).

When you have done a successful build, a new button will be visible here with which you can exclude all unused objects. Saves (a lot of?) memory.

NB! I'm referring to CoDeSys 2.4 (and/or Twincat 2.11).

Kalle

That's quite interesting!
I'm using some libraries in my program (for PID-controllers, calculating sunrise, ...). But those libraries contain much more than i actually use. Does this affect performances on the PLC?

That's quite interesting!
I'm using some libraries in my program (for PID-controllers, calculating sunrise, ...). But those libraries contain much more than i actually use. Does this affect performances on the PLC?

No, if the code isn't executed, it should not effect the performance. If you open the 'folder' I described before, you will see different colors on used and not used POUs.

And we are still curious which controller type your friend would sell you.
🤾

Kalle

The power is no problem.

i do a lot of cooling programs and did you have a look at www.oscat.de
lots of functions made just for you.
easy install in the beckhoff.
btw nice machine and wago makes same type.
price and speed is good for application.
if needed lots of sensorinputs like temps give me a mail to [email protected]
i make sensorinputarrayscanners the same way as in old recorders with relays.
an analog input costs about 100 euro. a relay with foot only 10 so easy choice.
distance is no problem.
i can measure Pt100 on 0.005 celsius resolution with stability of about 0.05 celsius