RSLogix 5000 Controller Type

pr_wainwright

Hi,
I have a legacy project using a 1769-L32E CompactLogix 5332E Controller (Firmware version 17.2). Recently my client has asked for an exact replica of the project. I purchased a new controller but my old program will not download because the new controller is listed as a 1769-L32E/A LOGIX5332E (Firmware version 1.15). In the RSLogix 5000 software package the new controller type is not listed so I can't change it in the project. Is this the same controller?
Thanks
Paul.

The fact is that your new controller hasn't the correct firmware for your project inside... all controllers just have this 1.xx firmware out of the box, which will let you to connect and download the fw version you need.

You'll have to use ControlFlash to download version 17.x firmware in it, and will work !

I suggest to review the following guide to understand the procedure, if unknown, starting page 42:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/iasimp-qs010_-en-p.pdf

It is realized for L23E controllers, but the procedure is the same.

The firmware could be downloaded here, or probably you already have it on your PC,installed by RS5000 setup:
http://support.rockwellautomation.com/ControlFlash/

Hope this helps,
- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
fuzzy_logic,
Thanks for the information. RSLogix 5000 gave me the option to update the firmware but the controller name was different so I cancelled. This is the first time I have used a new controller.

Thanks
Paul.

I think on a brand new processor the name will be "New". RSLinx may not refresh that part of it though, it may be remembering a previous processor that you were connected to especially if it was the same address.

I would make sure that you use at least 17.7 as the firmware (or newer if there is one). There were issues with previous versions dumping the program after a power cycle. Keep in mind that changing minor revisions (.7) is ok, but the major revision will have to match the software that you have installed (17)

One thing that they never tell us, for some reason... And it bites everybody the first time...

The PLC is shipped with a very, very basic firmware. Just enough "awareness" to know it exists and enough function to allow you to flash it to the version you program with.

If you recall, originally RA shipped the latest and greatest firmware versions. Imagine the issues there:
  • You don't have that revision of software yet (and this was back before you could have multiple sw revisions installed)
  • It sits on the distributor shelf so when it lands at your door it is no longer the latest revision
If it ships with the latest rev or rev 1 we always ended up flashing it anyway. It's just a different starting point.

If it was shipped with the newest rev our OP might be asking us why he can't download his rev 17 application to his new (rev 19) controller.

OG