RSLogix5000 slow comms

whumphrey

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,
I have a customer using satellites for IP connections to remote stations. Some of the sites are using SLC5/05, some CompactLogix L32E v13, and the most recent CompactLogix L32E v19.

At the master station we have RSLogix500, RSLogix5000, and RSLinx v2.57

Upload, download, and online comms are slow as to be expected with this network topology.

It takes a minute or two to download to the SLC 5/05s and maybe 2-4 minutes to download to the v13 CPX. On-line performance is comparably slow but steady and works.

The v19 CPX, however, takes around 15-20 minutes to download a very similarly sized program. When online, it sometimes apperas to stop communicating altogether, and on-line edits take 10 minutes or more to finish assembling.

In RSLinx Driver Diagnostics the throughput is <1 packets per second.

We have tried downgrading to v16 but no substantial improvement. The only real difference is that our new programs use a few AOI instructions.

Has anyone seen this before? What is so different from v13 to v16+ that would dog down the speed so significatnly? How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Warren

For both the v13 L32E and the v19 L32E:
Under Controller Properties, Advanced Tab:

What is the System Overhead Time Slice, set to?

Which option is selected under 'During unused system overhead time slice'?....Run Continous Task or Reserve for System Tasks

For both the v13 L32E and the v19 L32E:
Under Controller Properties, Advanced Tab:

What is the System Overhead Time Slice, set to?

Which option is selected under 'During unused system overhead time slice'?....Run Continous Task or Reserve for System Tasks

I left defaults...
System Overhead Time Slice: 20%
Run Continuous Task is selected.

It didn't occur to me to change these since we've never had a problem like this before.

Are the Ethernet ports all set to Auto-Negotiate on all the devices?
What information does the Port Diagnostics tab say? If you double click on the Ethernet Port Local in the I/O tree you should see that tab.
I had a similar issue a couple months ago but mine was V17. Tech support ultimately had me flash to the latest 17.x and the issue seems to have gone away.

HTH and welcome

I actually had v2.52 working with the v19 CPX when I first called tech support. They had me upgrade to v2.57 but no change.

There is one other device on the network with a connection to the processor, a third party RTU.

I actually had v2.52 working with the v19 CPX when I first called tech support. They had me upgrade to v2.57 but no change.

There is one other device on the network with a connection to the processor, a third party RTU.

I did not mean physical connections, but software connections to the procesor.

Type in the IP address of the processor, it will take you to a webpage with statistic information. You should see an area on the right that shows connection information.

Was there ever any resolution to this issue? I am having a similar issue as well and this thread is the closest I can find to my problem.

The only difference in my situation is that we have 2 distinct networks on site, business and process. If I access the PLC's from a PC on the process network, everything works perfect. If I access the same PLC from a PC located on the business network, it takes forever to load and appears to be locked up.

This affect has been progessively getting worse over the last year. It only happens on a few of the PLC's, not all.

I have reconfigured my HMI topography to reduce connection points and have reduced some PLC's from 34 connections to under 12 with little to no improvement.

I have adjusted time slice as well but I keep getting hung up on the fact that if timeslice was the issue, wouldn't all the PC's suffer the same issue, regardless of network location?

I'm approaching my network team this week but unless I have some solid idea to investigate, they will just say it's my software and kick it back on me. I suspect they are throttling the bridge between the two networks or something similar but I really have no expertise at that level of network management to challenge them.

Any ideas?

RSlinx 2.56
Controllogix V15.34
Business network is 1.0Gbps
Process Network is a mix of 100Mbps and 1.0Gbps ports with all PLC's connected at 100Mbps

Last edited:
We (on Warren's suggestion) have increased the bandwidth to the remote satellite's I can't remember off hand how much.

This has helped, but it is still a problem.

I will find out how much we increased our bandwidth and post back.

js

<edit> we increased our bandwidth from 64k to 256k

Last edited: