communication issues

ColburnJ

since most laptops today come without a serial port i am having issues connecting with a op17 touch panel using usb to serial adaptor. drops comm off and on during load. Does Siemens have a cable that has been tested that could handle this. Ive had several people say to make sure i get a cable that has been tested and approved.

I purchased the Keyspan one here for use with AB products. Not sure how well it works with Siemens, but I'm figuring that if it's AB approved than you can't go wrong!

Now regarding the store that I linked, I opted for the free shipping and it showed up in 2 days from the east coast (I'm on the west coast). Couldn't have been happier. I believe it also supports a forum member here.

It's going to be a little flaky. Keep the baud rate as low as possible. I don't think Siemens has an approved USB cable for this application

since most laptops today come without a serial port i am having issues connecting with a op17 touch panel using usb to serial adaptor. drops comm off and on during load. Does Siemens have a cable that has been tested that could handle this. Ive had several people say to make sure i get a cable that has been tested and approved.

I have had really good luck with an ATEN UC-232A. I have yet to find something it has been incompatible with. I have used to to connect to a Siemens MP277 without issue. I'm running it out of an XP virtual machine on Windows 7, but have also had no issues on my old XP laptop either.

I also have the Aten UC-232A. Actually it is a USB chipset that is sold under other names in many of the very cheap USB-to-serial adapters. It is the driver that reveals it is the same Aten chip.
Works well with Siemens OPs, AB DF1, Siemens MM4, ...

I've found that anything with an FTDI chip in it works with anything. I've programmed TI545's using TISoft and Siemens VF Drives with my FTDI cable. Schneider also use the FTDI chip in their USB programming cables for the Premium Series.