Comparision of CPU's of Siemens & Allen Bradley

Quite sure this thread will generate many replies...

Well, it is not so easy to compare so directly these systems just looking at the CPU; a quick reply would be to use ControlLogix (L6x or L7x controllers).
There are anyway many factors to consider: number of I/O points, memory, speed(cycle time), networks needs, type of I/O modules, remote I/O modules, HMIs, etc.
A more complete analysis would be possible posting more infos about your application.

In the meantime, I would like to suggest the following guide that could give some hints for your conversion:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/logix-ap008_-en-p.pdf

Hope this helps,

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
With "L43" you probably mean the compactlogix CPu with integrated motion functions. This is more comparable with an S7-300 "T" CPU.

An S7-400 is more comparable with a ControlLogix CPU, like the "L63" you mention. Both S7-400 and ControlLogix have functionality on the higher level that f.eks. CompactLogix or S7-300 do not have.
CPU-redundancy, network redundancy, RIUP, higher backplane performance for attaching many communication modules, and more..

Thanks for quick answers. The IO's I am looking at this stage is DI-108, DO-80, AI-78 & AO-68. The programming includes maximum PID's as this is for a continuous process Plants. Further to this I want open ended system so that I can add IO's at a later stage without having a need to change processor. ( approx 2-3 times of present configuration).
Cheers,
Neeraj

The number of PID loops (68 ?) indicates that it is not so small a project. I think forget about CompactLogix.

I would get a ControlLogix CPU (L7x), an Ethernet module (ENBT), and
either use 1756 racks and IO if RIUP is required
or use POINT IO if RIUP is not required.