Power status with contact make break in odinary electrical relays

royanabil

I hv designed an UPS power distribution system where the computers hosting the application are connected to two single mode UPS through an ordinary electrical relay. The configuration is that the primary UPS excites the relay coil and a NO contact of the relay makes to loop power to the computers. The line and phase from the secondary UPS is connecetd to a NC contact of the same relay such that in event of primary UPS failure, the NC contact loops power to the computers with no interruption in power supplied to the computers.

Will this configuration work fine or there will be a reboot for the computers during the relay contacts switch over?

Honestly, if uptime is that important, I'd keep the two UPS units, but invest in a computer with dual redundant power supplies.

Would your idea work? Possibly, but it depends entirely on the connected computer. Most current high efficiency computer power supplies don't have a very long hold time, usually only a few cycles of the incoming power.

the data centres use seperate supplies.
Two large UPS which then keep a battery bank fully charged.
two battery bank converts the DC bus to a 'Clean' AC supplies.
not to mention automatic bypass back to mains.
Most Servers, at that level, use dual supplies.
This is not a new design

How important is this project for you to redesign the wheel?