Newbie on PLC driven servos

Syphonics

Hi all,
I am new to AC Servo. Currently I have with me a Yaskawa SGDP Servopack and servo. I managed to use the SigmaWin program to do JOG on my servo.
But I do not know how to connect it to my PLC and control it.
Currently I only have knowledge on Stepper motors on PLCs, which are pretty simple.
But how do I control servo using PLCs? Are they still the same as stepper, just by output number of pulses?

Thanks

very little in a past life. As I remember, we used a 0-10v analog output (from Wago I/O) to an analog input on the servo drive. The analog cards and the servo drive were in the same cabinet for fewer noise concerns.
Then the servo drive was configured so that its speed reference (desired speed) was set by the analog input - there was some scaling inside the servo drive, and we had predetermined PID constants for the load we were running with it (a short conveyor belt). I'm not sure if it had an auto-tune or not.
It did have a few inputs required to run - I forget their exact names, but there was a 'ready' input that it needed and a 'run' input, this allowed us to change the analog signal without running the servo.
it had only 1 digital output which told us it was running and not faulted - this went away on a fault or power down - this was a little primative as it would have been nice ot have seperate bits for 'not running', 'in alarm', or 'unable to run' for more visibility. a fieldbus would have been even better =)
The servo motor itself was ordered with an encoder - not sure what type. the speed/position feedback was all taken care of in the drive.
Note that since this was on a conveyor, we never cared about its true position. We never found 0 degrees or specified a 'home' position - as long as it came to speed and changed speed quickly that was all we needed it to do.
It was very important to have the Yaskawa software to view and change paramters- you arent going anywhere without that.

-John