Koyo PLC's, small terminals

thierry2003

I have a dissapointment with my 205 Koyo PLC.
The terminals are soooo small, I had to rewire all the inputs and outputs because the wires could not get into the terminals! :mad:
On the other hand, I love these plc's, but I've never seen terminals like that. All the other brands I've seen use normal terminals (Siemens, Mitsubishi, Saia) so why are these so small?
Or do others users use another terminal block with a premade connector cable or something like that? :rolleyes:

Just looking for suggestions...

Welcome to the World of 'Compact' PLCs...

Now, now, Hein... No need for such drastic measures!... :p

On the 16-point and 32-point modules, I usually use their ZipLink Cables (<---link).

You can plug them directly their many different connector modules, or simply chop off the connector of the ZipLink cable and make it a 'flying lead' cable. The color code has remained consistent for the last few years. I don't like their interface modules myself, so I use the 'chop' method... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Ok Hien, I'll trow it away and use Asea Brown Bouveri instead :)

Eric, I took a look at those Ziplink modules and think they're quitte nice, however thay add a lot to the price of the cheap AD PLC. Next time I'll use your suggestion and buy only the cable and chop off the connector. To bad they don't have a ready-to-wire cable with only the AD connector at the one end, like they have one with a ziplink connector.

Thanks for the help

small terminals

hmm. you have to go for smaller wires and pin connectors which suits the purpose.
now a days PLCs are comming with I/O using FRC connectors so that you can take the flat cbale instead of a bunch of wires !!

Obviously, using 16 AWG or 18 AWG wire helps, and I find Belden's 600 V MTW (Machine Tool Wire) has thinner insulation and is a little more flexible. Use solid hookup wire instead of stranded for jumpers.

Koyo isn't the only one that has gotten terminals to the minimum useable size. The Allen Bradly SLC 500 RTD cards and some of the Siemens are jst as bad, and I found the Modicaon Momentum even worse. The PLC manufactureres are responding no doubt to customer pressure for small footporint and higher I/O densities. It isn't just PLCs either - I cringe evey time I have to terminate field wiring on VFDs or RVSS, for example. It's a 12 guage world for electricians, even if the control is only 24 VDC. At least in a panel you can pick your own wire size from I/O to field terminal strip!

Damned, making things smaller can be a good thing but on older machines where everything is already wired it can be a hassle.
I had to rewire about 100 I/O's. Baddest thing was that I made a price for the whole project but did not think about all the wires that I had to redo.
Well, still learning..., next time I won't forget it, that's for sure! :)