Momentary PB on HMI goes away..or does it.

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just have to share this one.

Running a brand new install of a popular HMI package on a brand new popular brand Industrial PC, with NEMA rated monitor and integrated touchscreen.

A momentary button function appeared to fail for no reason, after pressing the button for what appeared to be more than around 10 seconds.

Search and search the HMI program, to see if there's some goofy 'typmatic' adjustment, or default 'max time a button can be pressed' parameter or setting. Nothing.

Updated screen update time. Nothing.

Finally, checked the settings of the ELO touchscreen...đź““

Guess what!

"Max hold down time" = 10.

The touchscreen driver was not allowing any press longer than 10 seconds to be sent to the HMI.

Boing.;)

I haven't run into that one before...nice to know...

I can't think of a situation where I have needed a button held for that long, but there are many HMI "jog" type buttons that I am sure could be used for 10 seconds if needed. If that problem has happened on our stuff before, it is likely that the operators just let go and hit it again without ever letting us know of a problem.

Can you tell us the mfg. or software version of the touchscreen/drivers?

Paul

The HMI is Factory Talk View Station S.E. (Site Edition, Station Edition, Supervisory Edition, (make up your own SE initials Edition), stand-alone version (servers and clients all in one PC).

The industrial PC is a BECKHOFF (back panel mounted) with a BECKHOFF (front panel mounted) monitor/touchscreen combo.

ELO is the driver, I think.

A found a very interesting effect on a touch screen I used. If I hold down with just the tip of my finger, it would release after a few seconds. If I held down with the flat of my finger so there was more surface area being contacted, it would hold down indefinitely.

The HMI is Factory Talk View Station S.E. (Site Edition, Station Edition, Supervisory Edition, (make up your own SE initials Edition), stand-alone version (servers and clients all in one PC).

The industrial PC is a BECKHOFF (back panel mounted) with a BECKHOFF (front panel mounted) monitor/touchscreen combo.

ELO is the driver, I think.

Beware also - FTView SE will not guarantee that a momentary button will toggle state in the PLC when released. I can't tell you why, but I have lots of momentary buttons that have code in the PLC to unlatch them immediately after processing, or after a maximum time.

Factory Talk View Station S.E. (Site Edition, Station Edition, Supervisory Edition, (make up your own SE initials Edition), stand-alone version (servers and clients all in one PC).

$h1t edition? only kidding :)

We had a similiar problem on archestra. Drove us crazy. Eventually an update was given which corrected it