5/05 Clock stopped

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a SLC 5/05 with a real time clock that stopped counting.

It did this yesterday which resulted in some messages stopping (they are triggered by a data transition in the S:42 "Real Time Clock Seconds" register.

So, I went online, and noticed that S:42 had a value of 7 in it and never changed. I went to the controller properties and set the clock to my PC time and it took off.

I noted that the program on EEPROM had been loaded, so I cleared that bit.

This morning...same thing, except now it won't start running no matter what we do, and it did NOT load from EPROM since I cleared that bit yesterday. The values in the clock registers are set by RSLogix500 each time we press the button, and thay all contain valid values, but the clock is just stopped. Battery is good, system is other wise running fine.

Any ideas before we swap in a new processor?

TIA
Paul

Last edited:
I had something similar years ago on a 5/04 using the clock with a message instruction. I think I just changed it to a timer and triggered off that. It's been a while and I am no longer there so I can't check what my changes were. Please let us know what (if) you find something out.

Well, I got the new CPU ready, and went out to the machine to swap it, but first I wanted to power cycle the flaky one to see if that would kick-start its clock. I couldn't get it to run after a power cycle. I got a strange new pattern of LEDS which ended up with all LEDS solid except RUN no matter what I did with the keyswitch and through 4 power cycles I couldn't get the thing running again.

So we swapped it.

Back in the office in a test rack, same symptoms with the LEDS and I can't get online since CH0 is still set for DH485 (I left the battery connected to try to preserve this weird state). I could drag out the laptop with PCMK card, but I have other stuff to be doing today.

After two attempts of defaulting the CPU, I finally got back into it over DF1 and the clock was still frozen with all zeros in it (this may be normal even for a good SLC). I set the clock from RSLogix500 and it took off working again.

I think I will play with it a bit more and power cycle it several more times to see if it does okay. Unless it performs flawlessly, I am going to write down the MAC ID and send it out for repair.

Last edited:
Dadgummed replacement SLC appears to have the old slow ethernet daughtercard...stuck at 10MB half duplex...

Does anyone have definitive information about the SLC 5/05 series, FRN, and daughtercard FRN that I can compare with before I try one of our other spares?

It is working now, but too many collisions and I want to get rid of any ethernet 5/05s that don't support auto negotiate or at least 100MB full duplex.

Thanks,
Paul

slc_daughtercard.png

Paul, SLC 5/05 should be at hardware series C to have new 10/100 RJ-45 EtherNet port that can communicate Full Duplex to 100 Mbps

Series C contains a new Ethernet chipset providing this and other enhancements (more connections, channel status etc.)

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
fuzzy logic said:
Paul, SLC 5/05 should be at hardware series C to have new 10/100 RJ-45 EtherNet port that can communicate Full Duplex to 100 Mbps- fuzzy logic

So, this corresponds with the Processor Series I have circled above?

Looks like our other 32K spare is also a series B according to the label...

Yes Paul, that is the Hardware series you've to look at.

Unfortunately, series A and B processor cannot be upgraded in the field, due to the new chispset.

- fuzzy logic

Thanks, Fuzzy.

I guess I will hang onto one of them, and have the other sent out for upgrade and have our purchasing agent add a note to the part description which specifies Processor Series C or newer.

As long as the comms continue to work as they are right now, our data collection stuff is still doing okay and should be fine for a few days.