meter-bus ( m-bus ) on a PLC

dexdyne

I want to know if there is a PLC which offers m-bus as an optional interface.

I know I can buy dedicated modbus <-> m-bus gateways, but I'd prefer an all-in solution.

I need to pass responsibility for getting site-signals to an external contractor. It would be good if it presented my kit with a modbus-TCP interface.
Some site signals are on modbus-RTU-485, and some are direct-connect. The biggest issue is that I have a couple of m-bus interfaced heat meters to talk to.

So ideally I'd like to find a sub$1000 unit which can take in a few analogs and digitals, and in a perfect world a few modbus-RTU links, 232 and 485, and consolidate the lot into one modbus-TCP interface.

Anyone know of such a thing, or a best-fit?

TVM

David

Try and google M-BUS + WAGO
Wago has got a lot of interface cards and libraries. The small controllers 750-88x supports Modbus TCP directly (I've just tried one as ModbTCP slave.) But it might burst your $ limit.

Kalle

reply to LL

Thanks for that link - they had come up on Google, but I'd seen that they said they were "industrial PCs" so I'd left them out of consideration.

How does one program them?

Beckhoff's "embedded PCs" are as rugged as PLCs. And if you go for the Windows CE based CPUs, you are more safe from "funny" problems such as virus'es, operators goofing off on the internet etc.

One word of warning: The KL6781 module is not yet released by Beckhoff, and despite that it says "estimated market release 3rd quarter 2011", Beckhoff is notorious for announcing a new and much later release date, a week before the previous release date expires. An example of this is the CX8000 line of embedded PCs, which was initially announced to be released in 2009, but hasnt been released yet (!).

Kalle

the KNX-IP does look a possibility.

I guess I need to find someone here who knows the available options well enough to help me build a parts list.

TVM

Beckhoff is notorious for announcing a new and much later release date, a week before the previous release date expires.

Very loud sigh...

Dexdyne, many Beckhoff controllers, while still falling into "industrial PC" category, do come into the same form factor as Wago's 750 series, recommended by Kalle. As a matter of fact, Wago 750 is an 'industrial PC' just as well. Beckhoff and Wago had started these products together and parted their ways later, so many of these modules look very similar.

If you don't need PLC programmable functions, you can use HWg-PWR or HWg-PWR25. It's simple M-Bus to Ethernet converter. It works as RTU (Remote Telemetru Unit).
http://www.hw-group.com/products/HWg-PWR/hwg-pwr_en.html

Second option is something from swedish PiiGAB, but also RTU only, without probrammable PLC functions..

I want to know if there is a PLC which offers m-bus as an optional interface.

I know I can buy dedicated modbus <-> m-bus gateways, but I'd prefer an all-in solution.

I need to pass responsibility for getting site-signals to an external contractor. It would be good if it presented my kit with a modbus-TCP interface.
Some site signals are on modbus-RTU-485, and some are direct-connect. The biggest issue is that I have a couple of m-bus interfaced heat meters to talk to.

So ideally I'd like to find a sub$1000 unit which can take in a few analogs and digitals, and in a perfect world a few modbus-RTU links, 232 and 485, and consolidate the lot into one modbus-TCP interface.

Anyone know of such a thing, or a best-fit?

TVM

David