Rs423 ?

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have to emulate an ascii terminal that apparently supports RS423. At first I thought it was just a typo, because I had never ran across it before.

Has anyone here had any experience with it. Should I just be able to get an RS232C to RS423 converter and be off and running?

The standard seems to indicate it can support 10 receivers, But I only really need point to point.

I'm actually looking to "Emulate" an old obsolete data terminal that is no longer being made. They have been all swiped up on ebay. There is quite a large installed base on them so It's worth developing a substitute since most companies out there would rather throw a few extra bucks at it not to re-engineer a new system. Only thing I overlooked was this RS423 thing. None of the converters I have noticed so far claim to have isolation.

Thanks Okie, Looks like blackbox has a converter that will work. Pretty pricey for a converter but I guess that's how it is with odd balls.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could use a Maxim MAX232 or MAX233 chip to build one, probably under $15.

Well now I have several references that claim certain RS423 ports are compatible with RS232C. It would seem that by "compatible they are implying that I can hook up an RS232C port to an RS423 port and communicate without any type of signal conditioner. Looking at the electrical spec and the voltage levels, etc. I just see how that is possible. Possibly they mean compatible only in the way that the drivers are interfaced to the software.

B&B Electronics used to make RS423/RS232C converters, but have them listed as deprecated currently (no wonder). You might want to send them an email, or give them a call to see if they can still slap one together.

www.bb-elec.com

Oh, and 423 is CLOSE to 232, but not electrically identical. For one thing, it isn't as forgiving.

B&B Electronics used to make RS423/RS232C converters, but have them listed as deprecated currently (no wonder). You might want to send them an email, or give them a call to see if they can still slap one together.

www.bb-elec.com

Oh, and 423 is CLOSE to 232, but not electrically identical. For one thing, it isn't as forgiving.

I did notice the one B&B had was no longer being made.

I guess my concern is, are they "close enough" electrically that I can actually try and connect them directly without the fear of damage.

Back
Top Bottom