1756-EN2TR "Ring" Configuration

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
A project I'm involved with has several 1756 chassis with EN2TR modules connected point-to-point as an Ethernet Ring, obviously looking at minimising connection (wire-break) failure. Also, there is a 1756-EN2T in each chassis, all connected via managed switches (Redundancy rules on this project!!!).

I'm not familiar with that type of connection, but they took advice, and have it that way.

What concerns me is the inability of RSLinx to browse anything "on the ring". I can browse the IP Network (via the EN2T's and switches), but when I try to drill down to the EN2TR's network, RSLinx doesn't "see" the other EN2TR's.

Is this just a case of RSLinx knowing it has another path available on the IP Network (via the switches), so doesn't allow (what it might think of recursiveness) connection to the same chassis via the EN2TR ring ?

you can't browse the ring, or you don't see the EN2TR inside the rack?
If the former, you may have to right click on the EN2TR and click ... um..something like "Configure" or properties. What you're looking for is a dialog box that lets you enter IP addresses of the devices on the ring

ttichy has the right idea; ordinarily you browse across the backplane to the "remote" Ethernet network, then right-click and select "Configure". That brings up a table of IP addresses that RSLinx will then browse on that remote network.

I don't have two handy to see if the remote node table really appears under "Configure" or another menu selection name. It's not labeled "Browse remote IP Network" or something sensible like that.

This should also work if you're connected to the backplane using the USB port on the 1756-EN2T.

An ideal thing would be to have a 1783-ETAP in the Ring, which would give you a place to connect a programming terminal or HMI device, but browsing from the other general-purpose network should work fine.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I have the answer now that I have access to the correct documentation - the ring is complete, and there isn't any of the modules configured as "Ring Supervisor",

Now in that situation, i read that it will cause a "network storm", which presumably means that RSLinx would have difficulties in getting onto the ring.

I'll be able to test this in a few days when I am back on-site and can configure the Ring Supervisors.

It isn't important if I can't browse across the DLR to the other chassis, there is a secondary Ethernet network around the PLCs, using EN2Ts and Sixnet switches, so access to all of the PLCs can be gained via that network.