Powerflex 40 with devicenet help

Mesels

Hi Guys,

I'm taking a night school course and its a project course . I'm using control logix v15 and a power flex 40 drive . I have to program the power flex 40 so it starts/stops and jogs and will either go fwd/rev. We are told we are to use Devicenet to control the drive. Can someone point me in the right direction to do this project. Our instructor has told us he is here as a last resort but will not help us to program. We are using an Allen Bradley E3 overload as well. I have no idea where to

Thanks

Mesels

The middleware for configuring DeviceNet slaves and DeviceNet Scanners is called RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

You're going to use it to set up your PowerFlex drive, and to set up the 1756-DNB scanner to communicate with the PowerFlex drive.

For a first look at the role of RSNetworx in a DeviceNet system, and how scanners and slave devices work, I recommend a handful of reading.

First, the "DeviceNet Modules in RSLogix 5000 Control Systems" manual, DNET-UM001. Get it from the literature.rockwellautomation.com website.

Second, dig into the C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSNetworxii\ directory and look for PowerPoint Slideshow (PPS) files. Start with the DeviceNetRoadMap.PPS slideshow.

Get the 22-COMM-D user manual and the PowerFlex 40 User Manual. Again, both are available on the Rockwell Automation literature website.

Welcome to the Forum !

mesels, also ask yourself questions like what will i use to start the motor? a push button? an hmi, smart phone and you might watch out for the e3 it could envolve a trick question lots of things to think about sounds like a fun class. good luck!

Hi Rube,

Im not sure if AB PF40s have class 10 overload built-in? I know there was an AB E3 overload connected to the motor contactor. Im just reading all the stuff Ken Roach told me to read and Im suffering brain overload right now

Thanks

So there's a PF40, an overload, Dnet and now a contactor? Sounds like some extra hardware. How many motors? (Just kidding)

Steve is right--sounds like a fun class....but something tells me the whole story ain't yet been told, lol.

AC variable frequency drives typically include the basic "overload relay" type functionality, too. This often includes emulating a 10, 20, or 30-second overload delay (aka Class 10,20, 30).

Hopefully your classes will also cover some of the basics of industrial control, like the use of fuses, disconnects, and motor starters. That's stuff I wish I'd learned in addition to circuits, TTL, and microprocessors back in school.

When you next fire up RSNetworx for DeviceNet, make a note of the Version number. Most folks are running the current Version 10.0, but if your classroom is using RSLogix 5000 v15 (the current one is v19) they might have an old RSNetworx too, and I'd hate to post example files you can't open.