AB beginner question: 1756_DHRIO communicate with 1771-ASB-D

S7PP

Dear guys,

I am a beginner for AB RSLogix 5000. Now I'm facing a difficute problem:

I need to connect module 1756 _DHRIO with a Remote IO Rack. In the Remote IO rack, there is a 1771 ASB D module. The following slots will be DI, DO, AO etc.

I read the manual for the whole day and set all the bit switch, but it seems still not communicating.

What else do I have to do? Thanks a lot.

1771-1.jpg

The configuration is incorrect for the Parent Channel, Rack #, Starting Group or Size of the Rack.

I can see inside the remote ASB you've configured the size as 1/4 logical rack, but it is quite strange as you've also written you have some others modules inside the chassis.

It really depends by the chassis size and addressing method used for that adapter.

If you've not experiences with RIO and its addressing, I suggest to read the adapter manual and verify to use the same configuration settings inside RSLogix 5000.

Take a look to the switch assembly (extract the ASB adapter from the chassis and see its side...) post how they are configured together with the item code of the chassis where it is installed in. Users here will be able to help you to find the right configuration to use.

Just assuming that cables are correctly connected, and hardware is functioning.

Finally, consider that only adapters and any RIO modules that will use block transfers (analog, "special" modules)must be defined in RSLogix 5000's I/O configuration... Digital I/O modules will use I/O tags generated by RS5000 when you define the adapter; in your case something like "Remote_5:x.Data[y]"
where x could be either I for inputs or O for outputs, and y the element number.

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.

Here is what I did for setting. Do you think I should use "Full Rack" instead of 1/4?

Please also see what I did for the switches and correct me if I was wrong.

Thanks.

By the way the Chassis size is 9 slots. (the first one is used by 1771) I don't know which address methord I suppose to use.

Now none of the light is on or blinking on 1771. on DHRIO, says B RIO Scan OK, but light is red blinking.

1771-2.jpg 1771.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, addressing method "1 slot", 8 slot chassis, so a "Full Logical Rack".

Red light DHRIO side is just indicating a faulted adapter...
All leds off 1771-asb side means no power ?! check power, cables... are you sure about the RIO cable and colors ?

Try reversing the wires on one end of the blue hose. Swapping wires 1 and 2 from one end to the other has also been known to cause this error

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
I believe that power is there. because yesterday the light was on or blinking, only today, they are all off after I changed settings.

Cable, I used a 2 wire shild cable, not exactly the blue and clear, but I wired as the manual said. used 150ohm on both side.

Last edited:
From the adapter manual:

Devices that are operating at 230.4K Baud must have 82 ohm terminators in place for proper operation.

You may also try to slow down speed both sides, if possible.

- fuzzy logic

OK, I'll change to 115.2, 1771 SW2 becomes all off.

I pulled out all the IO modules only 1 DO module left in slot 1. Hope make it easier.

Still not working.

Last edited: