RSView ME vs New Factory Talk

dls1913

Howdy..Im currently assigned to edit an older RsView Studio me (ver 4)program, on a computer that has an updated Factory Talk (6.0) version of software. I have a copy of the older program on the newer computer, but when I open factory talk, I can't get my program to show up in the "open" list to open. All I can do is create new programs. How can I get the older program to show up in the "Open" list so I can edit it? Thanks...Jim

Jim,

I haven't opened a program developed in RSView, in FactoryTalk View but I would guess you need to go to the application manager.

If you click Tools and then in the drop down menu click Application Manager. You will then get the option to Restore Application.

Once you have restored the RSView application, I believe it will then be available to open.

Hope this helps.

Mark

I assume you have the .apa file and not just the .mer runtime file.
FYI The .mer will not convert unless you do a workaround/backdoor and then you will not get it all. You will not get the parameter files and a few other files.

Yeah, the potential fix that Mark had mentioned didnt work. I have the runtime file, but Im not sure I have the .apa file. If I do, will that convert? If I have to use what I have now, that will work, just wanted to load my previous app and and edit my upgrades onto that. Like I said, this all started when I loaded new Factorytalk Studio and then RsView Studio ME went away when I did. Maybe I could reload Rsview Studio Me. Wonder what that would do to my Factorytalk? I do need the new Factorytalk for some programming on new Panelview 1500s. Thanks again...Jim

Prior to ver. 5 of ME, if you didn't have the .apa file you were out of luck. There is a technote on how to recover SOME of the information, but not all of it. Your best bet is to find the archive file (.apa) or the computer that the original files are on.

I should have that program on a different computer, and it wont have the new factorytalk program on it...if I get the .apa file from that computer, can I use that to convert on the factory talk computer?

I should have that program on a different computer, and it wont have the new factorytalk program on it...if I get the .apa file from that computer, can I use that to convert on the factory talk computer?

Yes,

I believe in Application Manager there is an option to "Restore Legacy project" which will ask for an .apa file for conversion

EDIT: the option you need in App Manager may be called "restore from archive file" or something along those lines. Try both, one of them should work.

Last edited:
Or if you have the complete ME project including all the subfolders, it can be re-attached to Studio when copied over to the new computer.