converting legacy plc

aamfe2b

I want to convert a PLC 2/20 unit over to a SLC processor. My question is: Is there a utility that will take AI programs and convert over to RS Logix 500. Finding legacy equipment is getting very difficult.

No there isn't, the PLC 5 uses different addressing and a few different instructions than the SLC family.

It is a manual conversion.

yes the part # is: KEN ROACH
i think LOL

I did this with a plc 3 to a 5 years ago and hired an AB guy to doit it after the software did not work. by that I mean that it converted most of the stuff and this system was german with a lot of bcd stuff and no english docs. The AB guy was great though it all day but for this system it was worth it. and no I was not paying the bill at the time LOL

Let me get this straight: You want to convert one legacy PLC into another legacy PLC? :confused:

Uhm... OK. (IMO, its nuts to buy a SLC5/03/04/05 for anything except replacement).

But, to answer your question, no there is not a utility that will convert your PLC/2 program to a SLC500 program.

Now lets talk options.

Option 1)Swap out the PLC/2 processor for a PLC/5 processor and keep all the same 1771 IO and racks which are still supported and can be purchased brand new. There is a software package that will convert your PL/2 program to a PLC/5 program, but its very expensive. AB also offers a conversion service. Unless the program is very very large its probably more economical to do a manual conversion. The PLC/5 processors are kind of expensive, but you won't have to replace anything except the processor. The PLC/5 and 1771 IO is fully supported and will be for many years to come.

2)Upgrade to a CompactLogix or ControlLogix. The CompactLogix will cost you less money than a SLC500 will. The SLC500 pricing is structured to encourage migration to the CompactLogix/ControlLogix platforms.

3)If the system is small enough then you might want to consider using the MicroLogix1400 family.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Which ever way you decide to go we can help you if you get stuck on the conversion. Many of use have done those conversions ourselves and we've helped others on the forum through the process.

Check out the product offerings at http://plc2software.com/ They do have Windows compatible software and processors available.

Last edited:
I think you can get a com card for your existing rack and use a compact logix wich could keep cost down if you dont want to go the plc 5 way
or hire jeff he probaly wont charge ya much! LOL

Last edited:
There is a company that will convert PLC/2 programs to a Logix5000 program for $1/rung.

(Edit: Well for some reason the forum wont allow that link. You can find it if you google PLC/2 Conversions)

They don't appear to do any optimizing and all data is converted into a single dimensioned INT array.

That might be fine for a novice programmer but I think an experienced programmer will be unhappy with the conversion.

Out of curiosity, approximately how many rungs are in the PLC/2 program and what is your approximate IO count? Discrete? Analog?

Last edited:
PLC 2/20 legacy trouble

Sorry for being inept on SLC's being outdated. I have four ASRS cranes biult by P&H. The units are over 25 yaers old. The PLC 2/20 uses basic I/O and bcd for hoist and isle locations. The bin locations are given by a remote computer. I would guess it is sending ASCII code on the communication cable from the host. I am just an electrician with some plc experience. Looking for direction if PLC 2/20 processor cannot be found.

Rungs

The program has about 485 rungs in it. A simple logic converion I could do, but the communication from the host I am not familiar with

I will get specific info on the plc hardware and post the program. I have no clue on the host computer and program. I will try to find out. If this looks like a task somebody wants to take on I can entertain the idea if they have ASRS crane experience. These are relatively small systems with one processor, bcd locations, bin p&d

If all the location info is coming from one computer then one possible solution is to replace the PLC/2 processors wit 1771-ASB modules and connect them all to a single ControlLogix via a 1756-DHRIO module. The computer gives the CLX the data and it then controls the cranes. You won't have to change any wiring to the cranes except for running the DH+ cable.

At this point it may be well worth your time to bring in your local AB sales rep to look at your system and discuss options. Since its a sales call its free. That could help you decide on the best course of action and then we can get into how to do it.

Dependent upon your installation (all the components of the PLC), some of the 1771 stuff has become obsolete or silver series - neither is good for supportability.

I did a PLC2 to PLC5 conversion years ago, used the AB conversion software, and experienced what was referenced earlier. The software does convert a good deal of the code, but does not get it all. One example is the way PLC2 handled analog cards, communications, etc. Stuff like that did not convert over well, or at all. Still took a lot of manual conversion.
Another issue I ran into was that some of the products were NOT compatible. One example was the Chassis. The one for the PLC2 was so old that the PLC5 did not support that revision. Learning point here is to review the parts you have and confirm that they can still be used with the new controller (if that is the route you are going).

For conversion sake, one may want to consider going to the current "Logix" platforms. If you have been following the pricing of "Legacy" hardware (PLC5, SLC, etc), it can be noted that pricing has risen and availability has deminished. This is so customers migrate to the Logix platform. Yes, RA will still support the current products, but new development has ceased long ago.

You may want to do a lifecycle analysis on your equipment. If the equipment is nearing the end of the lifecycle, then plan a conversion that is low cost, but supportable. If the lifecycle is longer, than you should consider the lifecycle of the product you are replacing. Don't put legacy controllers on equipment that is going to have a longer lifecycle. You'll just wind up with supportability headaches and cost, and you may have to do this all over again.