1783-etap fault monitor

gjsangster

I have a system that is using a 1756-L61 which is communicating via ethernet to a remote rack using a 1756-ENBT. The client wanted a redundant communication path so and wanted to know when one of these paths were lost by flashing a light on the remote rack. Talking with the local distributor he recommended using two 1783-ETAP. I was wondering how you would get notification from the Etap that one of these communication paths has failed.o_O

There is an add on profile for the etap you can add to rslogix. It will give you diagnostics. Wouldn't you rather go with 1756-en2TR? You will need one in each rack. It has two ports on it. You can use it on a ring or point to point.

This is my first project using control logix and went with what the distributor suggested to use now I'm stuck with the ETAP. I have the add profile but how do I access the port diagnostics in my ladder logic?

This is my first project using control logix and went with what the distributor suggested to use now I'm stuck with the ETAP. I have the add profile but how do I access the port diagnostics in my ladder logic?

Hey buddy, no worries with the ETAP, it will work perfectly fine with your architecture. In order to get the diagnostics you will need to use ladder logic to access the diagnostics. This will be accomplished by message instructions to the ETAP. I have attached a whole bunch of knowledgebase documents on how to go about doing this. I would highly recommend you sign up on rockwell's knowledgebase website. You can find a wealth of information. Anyway, in your I/O tree, drop in your ENBT card, followed by the 1783-ETAP. Then follow the the documents. If you have the equipment in the office you can test everything easily.

I gotta go to a site near Edson for the next 10 days, but will try and respond if you have any other questions.

Hey man,

Looks like the max i can attach for pdf's is 300kb. Please go to Rockwells Knowledgebase website:

You need to look up the following tech note numbers, just put them in the search field:

These notes will help answer most of your questions and teach you how to get the diagnostics.

Thanks for the help I'll take a look at this and see what I can do. I'm on site now out in northern BC trying to get this working so setting up a test bench is not an option.

Message instruction

Hey buddy, no worries with the ETAP, it will work perfectly fine with your architecture. In order to get the diagnostics you will need to use ladder logic to access the diagnostics. This will be accomplished by message instructions to the ETAP. I have attached a whole bunch of knowledgebase documents on how to go about doing this. I would highly recommend you sign up on rockwell's knowledgebase website. You can find a wealth of information. Anyway, in your I/O tree, drop in your ENBT card, followed by the 1783-ETAP. Then follow the the documents. If you have the equipment in the office you can test everything easily.

I gotta go to a site near Edson for the next 10 days, but will try and respond if you have any other questions.

How did you setup this msg instruction?