IEC question

AndrewM

Hi All,

I have just seen the following on a job spec, what are they looking for, I thought IEC was for PLC manufacturers to standardise languages LAD,STL etc.

"Working knowledge of IEC61508 / IEC61511 and design of Emergency Systems to meet the required Safety Integrity Level (SIL)"

Regards Andrew

"IEC" is an International Electrical Commision.
It governs many different standards.
I notice that many standards are now called IEC/ENxxxxxx.

"Working knowledge of IEC61508 / IEC61511 and design of Emergency Systems to meet the required Safety Integrity Level (SIL)".
If you dont know what this is at all, then dont apply for the job.
If you have a good knowledge of safety issues, but dont know everything about the latest standards, then state that and suggest you need to be updated to the latest standards.

"IEC" is an International Electrical Commision.
It governs many different standards.
I notice that many standards are now called IEC/ENxxxxxx.

"Working knowledge of IEC61508 / IEC61511 and design of Emergency Systems to meet the required Safety Integrity Level (SIL)".
If you dont know what this is at all, then dont apply for the job.
If you have a good knowledge of safety issues, but dont know everything about the latest standards, then state that and suggest you need to be updated to the latest standards.

Hi

I will steer clear.
Is this now a requirement for all PLC programmers?
Is it something that can be done on a course?

Safety evaluation and design and verification etc. doesnt involve PLC programming per se.
But it is more and more becoming the task of the persons that "take care" of everything that it takes to make a machine or process work. And that task seems to go to the electrics.

IEC 61508 - "Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Safety-related Systems".

Related to the programming of Safety PLCs.

Agreed... but as i understand the job is not a trainee role but a engineer role with full responsibilities so not suitable for a novice.

Hi

The role was biased towards SCADA and reporting, but it was on the jobs spec as a "would like" option not required, so I was just wanting to now a little bit more, I was also getting confused between IEC61151 and IEC61131.

Hi

The role was biased towards SCADA and reporting, but it was on the jobs spec as a "would like" option not required, so I was just wanting to now a little bit more, I was also getting confused between IEC61151 and IEC61131.

Hi
In that case, if you feel you match most of the other requirments why not apply? They can always train you or send you on courses for the missing skills.
It is common for an employer to write a job spec asking for 'superman' and then settle for a real world person