SLC 5/03 problems

kongshitt

Lifetime Supporting Member
First off - I just installed and started using the AB 1747-UIC comms to connect to the 5/03 series processor. (until yesterday I was using the serial PIC) that is connected to the processor with a regular cat5 cable.

With this set up I can effectively get online, upload, and download programs to the processor.

when I attempt to burn the EEPROM i get "StoreToEeprom failed: 0x4" it then boots me offline. I get back online, and return the processor to remote run. The burn is successful (checked by killing power and re-booting).

Now everytime on powerup i get a fault 18h - saying that the OS isnt compatible with the program.

Info from the side of the processor:

Processor: 1747-L531
Ser: E
Rev: B

Ser: C
Frn: 10

This was a working conveyor system, and we added an ASCII read for barcode data to the system.

My only remaining thought I have is that it could be a memory issue. Any help would be appreciated.
(i cant get the logic to upload, invalid file type ".rss")

Error

Description:
The user program in the memory module is incompatible with the operating system. This non-user error occurs at download.

Solution:Upgrade the OS to be compatible with the memory module.

This implies that the program on EPROM may have been burned with/for a newer CPU.

Another fix describes that something can go wrong when changing the processor type in an offline file and NOT allowing RSLogix to resize data tables. The alternative solution for this cause is to go offline, Read the I/O config and re-download.

Last edited:
The fix described above in my last post refers to a symptom of fault 18h each time the processor enters run mode (power cycle, keyswitch, or from RSLogix500)

Switched comms from UIC to PIC - no more error on burning the EEPROM

Just swapped in a new processor and moved the EEPROM into it. This processor is:
Ser E
Rev C
Frn 11

Still getting the fault - Logix is not prompting me for a data table resize. Is there an option somewhere that is kleeping it from attempting to resize?
"Read I/O Config" what exactly do I have to do for this?

Switched comms from UIC to PIC - no more error on burning the EEPROM

Just swapped in a new processor and moved the EEPROM into it. This processor is:
Ser E
Rev C
Frn 11

Still getting the fault - Logix is not prompting me for a data table resize. Is there an option somewhere that is kleeping it from attempting to resize?
"Read I/O Config" what exactly do I have to do for this?

The error about failing to burn the EPROM often isn't really anything wrong with your hardware, it's just that the connection is lost because the SLC is so busy writing to EPROM that it doesn't answer back to RSLinx fast enough to make it happy. Since you have proven that the burn is successful, treat that as solved or as a separate issue. Although the image saved on EPROM may be related to your error 18h.

The Read I/O config, is something that you can do in RSLogix500 but only while offline. It is intended to allow a quick way to fill in the I/O configuration automatically if you can connect to the targeted SLC.

So, go offline and open a copy of the program you are working with.

In the project tree, double click IO Configuration and look toward the top center, for a button labeled Read IO Config and click it. This will pop up an RSLinx path dialog so you can choose which processor you want to read the I/O from.

Select the path to your controller, and hit okay, (then save your file with a new name), next download the freshly updated and saved file.

If the CPU type doesn't change, it may not trigger RSLogix to perform the resize data tables step.

if that happens, I would suggest intentionally changing the processor type (pick one that is only different in the amount of RAM or something minor) offline, and then change it back.

Once you have gotten RSLogix to re-size data tables for you and saved the file, and downloaded it to the SLC, don't forget while still in program mode, to perform the burn to EPROM with the newly updated code before you switch to run mode.

Last edited:
kongshitt. I have the exact same problem. Everything worked fine with the pic but the uic actually did NOT allow eeprom burn. My configuration is the exact same as yours except L532 processor. did you clear your processor memory and allow upload from eeprom to confirm burn?

What about this part of his question?

"when I attempt to burn the EEPROM i get "StoreToEeprom failed: 0x4"

I just had the same thing happen, and I can't find any help for this error code '0x4'

What causes this? I was trying to save to Eeprom using a 1747-UIC adapter if that makes a difference.

SLC 5/03 1747-L532

HELP!!!:confused:

Last edited:
The Store to EEPROM was very likely successful, but a timeout made RSLogix 500 indicate that it was a failure.

When you perform a "Store to EEPROM" function on an SLC-500 family controller, the controller writes to the EEPROM module then reboots.

The whole process can take up to 90 seconds (storing large programs to EEPROM takes a while), and the SLC only reports to RSLogix 500 that it's done a successful Store to EEPROM once the reboot cycle is complete.

The 1747-UIC has a faster communications timeout than the pure RSLinx driver for the old 1747-PIC, so in this specific circumstance the 1747-UIC reports a timeout failure and RSLogix 500 announces that failure as a Store to EEPROM Failed.

What I've done to work around this is created a data file with just one element, into which I put the 'build number' for my program. To verify that the burn to EEPROM worked, I do a Restore from EEPROM and use RSLogix 500 or the RSLinx data table monitor to read that one register.

Ok, here's what I just tried.

Changed an unused integer value from 0 to 2015. saved and then tried a load to Eeprom. About 7 seconds after I start the loading it comes up with the error
"StoreToEeprom failed: 0x4".

Next i get back online in program mode, select load from Eeprom, no message displays weather it took or not but when I go check my integer value it is back to 0. So that tells me that the program loading from the Eeprom is the previous version.

So it doesn't appear that it is actually loading to Eeprom successfully.
???