FactoryTalk Syntax with Parameters

smohamed

Morning everyone,
I've got a expression here involving parameters, but everytime I go to check the syntax I get the error:
Error at line 1, column 18: Expression is empty or incomplete.

The expression is below:
#1\REM_START = IF {#2\RUN ==0} AND {#2\REM_START == 0} AND {#3\WW_LO == 0} AND {#1\SCADA_DLY_STRT == 0} AND {#3\PS1_DISH_DEN == 0} THEN 1 ELSE 0

I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. Is the problem that I'm trying to evaluate to a parameter?

Thanks!

OK so I made some modifications to it. Instead of using a button, I've got two rectangles with Visibility and Touch turned on linked to the result and the expression respectively. The thing I found was that I had to eliminate the {} brackets when evaluating, otherwise FactoryTalk was not picking up my parameter passing on the screen...

Why were you using braces anyway? Braces are used in FTView to delineate TAGS (But only sometimes).
My buddy who is stuck with all FTView Standalone support has resorted to trial and error on those braces and has written his own little scripts to edit them in and out of groups of objects...Of course he is determined to make his objects work and gets into parameter switching and text replacement that proved to be arduous, so he is deep into the nuts and bolts and patches and glitches...

Have any of you run across the glitch that requires you to shrink your display by one pixel?

I still do some PV+ programming when my arm is twisted hard enough, so I am used to it not always working after doing everything exactly right with frequent saves, runtime creations, and archiving so that I can recover from the insanity if I get too far down the RS Rabbit Hole.

Yes, If I remember right, he had to research why a particular indicator refused to accept the changes he had made on a busy overview screen. After numerous replacements and triple checking all the IE caching options etc., it still kept reverting to a very old graphic and text for one object. He fixed by reducing the parent window size by one pixel.

???

It's the only SCADA app where modifying an indicator can take up to a week.

Last edited:
Why were you using braces anyway? Braces are used in FTView to delineate TAGS (But only sometimes), not expressions. To group expressions, use ().

I've had hit and miss success with those braces, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. In this case, removing them seemed to do the trick, but probably because of the reason that it was a long expression. If they are to delineate tags, all the tags were separated with braces, so in theory it should have worked?

Maybe I am not understanding, but are these not equivalent?

{#2\RUN_STS} AND {#3\READY}
vs
#2\RUN_STS AND #3\READY

or do I need to put brackets () around the first expression?

Yes, they are equivalent as you show in post #5. But that isn't the usage you showed in post #1 -
{#2\RUN ==0}

Also, the curly braces are SOMETIMES required by FTView, and it will even insert them by itself occasionally, and SOMETIMES they are not required, and FTView will complain about them. Welcome to the wonderful world of FTView being consistently inconsistent. (Not to mention Incontinent)

Yes, they are equivalent as you show in post #5. But that isn't the usage you showed in post #1 -

Also, the curly braces are SOMETIMES required by FTView, and it will even insert them by itself occasionally, and SOMETIMES they are not required, and FTView will complain about them. Welcome to the wonderful world of FTView being consistently inconsistent. (Not to mention Incontinent)

OK. Thanks for your help. Yes, I agree it is quite consistently inconsistent. I do remember that RSView32 was much more consistent, and stable for that matter. I'm always happy when I go to sites and they've still got it in use. Some are just reluctant to move away from it and some just can't justify the price.