DH+ Alternatives?

tmkkoservo

Since I no longer have a PCMCIA slot (new laptop), and I would not pay $2000 or even $1500 with trade in for the USB intrerface....(Not in a million years!) Does anyone have alternatives they are using to connect to a DH+ network? For example, I need to connect to SLC5/04 that has RS232 port dedicated to other device. I already have the PCMK card and cable but no PCMCIA slot. Has anyone got a PCMK card working on external reader?

I've been interested in this thread too. I don't think anyone got this to work using the express card adapter. Maybe someone will report in and give us an update. Right now if you need to connect to a DH+ network you need either the obsolete PCMK card, the new USB version, or possibly of the old KF2 boxes that convert serial to DH+.

I've been interested in this thread too. I don't think anyone got this to work using the express card adapter. Maybe someone will report in and give us an update. Right now if you need to connect to a DH+ network you need either the obsolete PCMK card, the new USB version, or possibly of the old KF2 boxes that convert serial to DH+.

Post 23 and 24 of link above seem to indicate he got it working.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=379205&postcount=24

I thought I did my homework...

Thanks Mickey. I did see this post but I did not drill into the third page. It seems people are saying the PC-EXP adaptor from shopdigi.com is working. I'll give it a try and hope I didn't waste 50 bucks.
🍻

Thats what I was looking for. I need a USB connection. I reread the thread. I'm still not sure if anyone got this working well enough to trust it. Anyway I need something that works from a VMware VM, so no PCMCIA or express card slots for me.

How much does a 1756 Chassis, Ethernet card, and DH+ card cost? Did i not read on here that it works out cheaper then the USB DH+ cable?

....and I would not pay $2000 or even $1500 with trade in for the USB intrerface

I can save you a few bucks on a used one if you are interested, they have a 30 day money back http://ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

No that won't be cheaper

I have them also... http://www.ebay.com/itm/370407766215 and yes they are more, but they are better if you are not just making a program change and need a permanent fix, like pulling data into a HMI on the Ethernet network

I got lucky a few years ago and found an Equustek DL3500 for $100. It works like a charm and can be used as an RS232 or USB to DH+ converter. Every once in a while they show up on Ebay.

I have a Belkin USB to RS232 converter. It comes with its own drivers that need to be installed first but after that, its terrific.

Hello passwordg,

Belkin makes very good products, the only problem is that they (tmkkoservo) needs DH+ to USB.... not RS232 to USB

This is a protocol for Allen Bradley PLC's (5/04 series) to communicate to other devices