quantum plc communication problem

neekheeldesai

Friends,
Can somebody help me to establish communication on dell laptop loaded with
Proworx software,laptop has only USB port,so by connecting USB to serial cable.
What will be the communication port configuration?which port to be configured?
I have 2 dell laptops,one having serial port not working ,I want to use USB port to cmmunicate.
and other laptop only with USB port was working fine with USB to serial cable suddenly stopped communication with message unable to open comm. port.In this laptop comm port configuration is com port 4.

Thanx :(

Last edited:
quantum

i've been through the serial port problems with win nt/2000/xp, and gave up.
does your quantum have only a serial port?
if so you have a few options

1) 174cev30020 ethernet to modbus bridge.
(~$800) This way you can use the ethernet port of the computer to connect to the plc. i've connected proworx to a quantum and micro 612 this way. you can move the bridge when you program different plcs.

2) quantum ethernet card (~$1200) you can program the plc, but cannot flash execs.

3)keep banging your head against the wall with serial port problems.

I've been using an USB/Serial Converter through XP and managed to get online to a Siemens S7, through Step7. This is probably more luck than judgement... Modsoft (being DOS based) is rather temperemental about pseudo COM ports (like my arrangement), but it may work...

When you install one of the USB/Serial converters, you will be assigned a Pseudo COM port (something like COM6). Modsoft won't probably want to know, but ProWorx NxT may be happy with this.

An alternative is to use a PCMCIA MB+ card; save £700 and get the TSx card (also used on a Magelis) with the inbuilt cable as opposed to the PC-specified version. Works the same!

I am using Modicon USB converter from www.plccables.com.
It works with Proworx NXT in Windows XP Pro SP1.
The only problen that Proworx lets you use com1-4 only.
So I changed virtual COM to COM 4 and it work just fine.
We made few projects already.
It does not work with Modsoft at all.

communication problem

:p Thanx for yr reply,My laptop was working on proworx nxt with same arrangement what U suggested,With com - 4 setting ,but suddenly staretd giving message unable to open comm port,So I think there is something wrong with the com port setting on my pc,so could U pl. suggest me how to creat virtual com to com 4?Previously I deleted com 4 from PC contol panel,
and again readded it but its property shows error.
Thanx.

Control_Conn said:
I am using Modicon USB converter from www.plccables.com.
It works with Proworx NXT in Windows XP Pro SP1.
The only problen that Proworx lets you use com1-4 only.
So I changed virtual COM to COM 4 and it work just fine.
We made few projects already.
It does not work with Modsoft at all.

could U pl. suggest me how to creat virtual com to com 4?

The only way to re-create COM port is uninstall and reinstall USB port driver.Each converter uses different driver, so you have to find how to do it.
Look at add/remove programs and see who you can uninstall it.
Look at USB devices in device manager.

After that reboot PC and try to install USB cnverter driver again.

neekheeldesai said:
Friends,
Can somebody help me to establish communication on dell laptop loaded with
Proworx software,laptop has only USB port,so by connecting USB to serial cable.
What will be the communication port configuration?which port to be configured?
I have 2 dell laptops,one having serial port not working ,I want to use USB port to cmmunicate.
and other laptop only with USB port was working fine with USB to serial cable suddenly stopped communication with message unable to open comm. port.In this laptop comm port configuration is com port 4.

Thanx :(
I have had problems using labtop with proworx and then quiting. It was traced to window 2000 up dates. if you recently updated windows go in and remove the updates back to previous setup. The same thing happened with concept.

The only way to re-create COM port is uninstall and reinstall USB port driver.Each converter uses different driver, so you have to find how to do it.
Look at add/remove programs and see who you can uninstall it.
Look at USB devices in device manager.

After that reboot PC and try to install USB cnverter driver again.

*** note: com ports have a way of retaining their port and number so if it is unplugged and something else uses the com, the next time said device is plugged in gives a conflict. You will notice this a lot in AB linx. I have gotten into deleting after use every time.

I have also seen issues with Belkin USB to RS232(db9) in some cases. I have recently changed to Gold or manhatten.