RSLogix 5000

daithi1979

Hi All,
I downloaded a file (size 933kb) to an AB micrologix PLC a number of weeks ago. When I uploaded the same programme yesterday the file size was 809kb. I made sure to upload all tags so I am a bit confused as to why the file size was over 100kb smaller.
Any suggestions?

David.

David,

In the RSLogix software, you can do a "Tools, Compare" to compare two files and see any differences that might have been made accidently. You can select stored files or unload a file from the PLC. Also, check the amount of memory used for each version of the program (go to "Controller Properties, General"). If it is the same, then your programs are still the same.

Some reasons (that an Uploaded file might be a smaller size than a file retrived from your hard drive) might be that the uploaded version does not include the symbols, description text, or rung comments. When you save a file to your PC memory, the file size is the largest space that you used, but when you upload a file, all the extra unused memory areas are not there.

Lancie,
Iv'e executed a file compare. It did show up 138 tag differences. I presume that these would not equate to the 100Kb difference in file size.
Thanks for the response,
David.

Are those "value" differences, or new tags? When you do a compare you typically don't want to compare values as those are always changing.

I am confused by the software and hardware you've mentioned. RSLogix 5000 is for the 5000 series controllers. The MicroLogix is a 1000 series controller that uses RSLogix 500 or RSLogix Micro.

I'm guessing you just accidentally typed an extra zero. Is that right?

OG

Allen-Bradley's *.RSP, *.RSS, and especially *.ACD files are really just file archives with multiple files embedded in them.

The file size on disk is not necessarily directly proportional to the program size in controller memory because so many other aspects of the project are stored there. The compiled User Program is very small compared to other files created by RSLogix.

These include the Tag Descriptions, Symbol table, on-line and off-line Cross-References, Custom Data Monitor and Custom Graphical Monitor definitions, project preferences, and revision notes.

The Program Compare feature in RSLogix 500 is really the best way to explore differences between Programs.