GX Works PLC simulator needed

jmcall10

Hi, I am very very new to PLC's and would like to ask what I assume is a basic question.

I have installed the trial version of GX Works 2 and would like to test the ladder I have written. However I do not have a PLC to connect to.

Is there a way to simulate one, and if so how? Do I need to download extra software?

The PLC that I would like to emulate is the Mitsubishi FX0

Regards,

jmcall10

If you use the simulation in GX2 the program will behave as if you were connected to a real PLC. What you will miss is the response from whatever your PLC is connected to. You have to simulate that for yourself.

I.e. if you set an output (cylinder home) and expect an answer that the cylinder is at home you will of course not get that answer since there is no cylinder.

If the PLC-program is only depending of internal memories of course it is simpler to simulate since all information is accessible within the program.

The answer to your question is: No, you don´t need any other software.

I.e. if you set an output (cylinder home) and expect an answer that the cylinder is at home you will of course not get that answer since there is no cylinder.
On the other hand, if JM were to use the LogixPro simulator for the Allen Bradly RSLogix software, for all of the included student exercises, he could simulate both the PLC, AND the inputs to the PLC (using some graphical interface screens for the various problems).

The best way to use the simulator is substitute the real I/O with bits (M) then create extra logic to be deleted later for the interaction i.e. assume you have an output driving a contactor for a motor & an input or two for motor running & or overload then use the bit as the output & a bit for the input(s) onto a timer (simulates delay for feedback)
i.e. LD M0(output) T0 k10
LD T0 out M1(Input)
this simulates real time reaction as if real I/O if your clever you can create subroutines to map the real Inputs to the internal memories then only call the routine when loaded into the plc this is often used for simulation then the call to the sub maps the real I/O to the bits when installed into the plc.