just bought a dell latitude D630(refurb)

bce123

Lifetime Supporting Member
I would like to make this an AB only laptop. I have read a few post about v-ware and would like some advice on it. the dell has:
xp pro ser pac 3
also office 2003
226 gigs of free space on the hard drive
1.99 gig ram
intel duo cpu t7300@ 2.00 ghz
a real serial port!!!
My question is it it worth while going with the v ware if its only going to be an AB tool?
I only have $250 in it now
I plan on loading RSlogix 5000 and 500 as well as FTV ME

The backup and restore benefits still apply, but generally the VM stuff is to get around the incompatibilites related to Vista and Win7 and the 64 bit OS versions. If this is an AB only laptop, I don't seem messing with the VM stuff.

I say just use the native OS. Do an image or at least a Restore Point before installing any FactoryTalk View on it, but otherwise go to town.

The D630 is a durable, powerful machine and is a good choice for this sort of work.

Do an image or at least a Restore Point before installing any FactoryTalk View on it
for sure!! I think the toshiba still has AB ghost on it, as well as the acer and the HP,......
their probably LOOKING OUT for the ciditel services LOL

I agree with Ken, the D630 is a really good laptop. I've got six of them to work with this week.

I personally prefer to use a VM anytime over the native O/S. The only sticky point there is the amount of RAM in your PC. But the D630 is easily and cheaply upgradeable to 4GB (XP caveat there though). With 2GB you are probably limited to a 1GB VM at best. 1GB of VM memory is what I use on many of my VMs and my PC has 8GB of RAM.

I like the idea of the VM because it makes all of your work portable. Plus the snapshot and clone capabilities are far better than Windows Restore Points and imaging with Ghost, Acronis. You can move the VM to a USB drive and then to another computer without having to change anything.

Just my $0.02.

OG