Controllogix 5550 communication USB-Serial

danielplcsnet

Hello:

I'm trying to communicate with a Controllogix processor with a 1747-CP3.
I read in the Controllogix System User Manual there are 2 valid cables types, 1756-CP3 & 1747 -CP3.

I'm using a USB - Serial cable.

The processor is a L555 model, is the model the problem??

The User manual says I can communicate with a 1756-L6x, I think that is a superior version than L555 processor.

Thanks in advance!

Well the L55 series is officially obsolete. The L6x series is faster, has more memory and supports firmware greater than version 16. But your issue might be your USB to serial convertor. Not all adapters work. The Keyspan one that was recommended to me, works.

I recommend the Keyspan/Tripplite USA-19HS. You can get them from many online vendors and from a PLCTalk member's company, Industrial Concepts. I'm not sure who a good vendor is for them in Mexico.

The "Autoconfigure" feature for the DF1 Full Duplex driver often does not work with an adapter that will otherwise work. Check your offline file if you can, but the default settings for a Logix-family controller are DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, BCC Error Checking, Device Type = Logix5550.

All of the generations of ControlLogix and CompactLogix have the default communication port settings and will work the same with a given RS-232 port.

Also be certain you know, from the Windows Control Panel, which COM port the USB/RS232 converter is using, and match that in RSLinx. Some devices will use a different COM port depending on which USB port you plug them into !

Ken,

I have checked the settings of the port and it seem good.

Also I have compared the from de windows control panel port the USB/RS232 converter and Rs Linx.

I think is the adapter's brand is the problem, tomorrow I will tell you.

Thanks!