SCL-500 to Access using RSLinx

williamlove

I saw a DDE/OPC link from a cell in Excel to an SLC 500. I know that’s been around for many years. RSLinx was the driver that made this possible.

My question is, do you know precisely how to do the same sort of thing to get an SLC address (say F8:0) into an Access table or form? Just the simplest working example would be enough, I can figure out the rest.

I want to limit this to RSLinx…I know there are other drivers and methods but I have a specific interest here.

(I have done a lot of work with Access when I had RSView and its tag database to read from…I’m trying to bypass RSView and get data straight from RSLinx.)

Okay, you can move data from a PLC to an Excel spreadsheet using RSLinx.

Second step: import the spreadsheet into a Microsoft Access database table. You can write a VBA rountine in Access to do this periodically, like you did in your RSView program. You would need to carefully time the moves, so that the data move from the SLC to the spreadsheet finished before your Access tries to open the same file.

You can open a new Access database, press "File, Get External Data, Link Tables", then browse to the spreadsheet (which you have linked to RSLinx). Then open that spreadsheet, which will create a link, so that the spreadsheet data shows up in Access in the same layout as in the spreadsheet. Then you can create Access tables, queries, and so on using the spreadsheet data. Remember, the spreadsheet file must be CLOSED before Access can read it.

Last edited:
If you have access to the Rockwell Knowledgebase, there are some Articles with VBA Code on there.

Stu....

William,

By your request, here is the spreadsheet with instructions for setting up links to RSLinx.

Thanks very much. Did you use this on a ControlLogix system? I have one of those in our shop now which is for a current project and I am going to try out your sheet.

No, I have not used the DDE link on a ControlLogix system, but remember, it is a link to RSLinx, which is not dependent on the model of microprocessor.