1746-NI8 Fault

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys I have a 1746-NI8 module in slot 1 (4-20 mA selected) that is causing the processor to fault. I did not write down the exact fault but it states Slot 1 fault bit set to 1 in modules diagnostics. I'm using 6 inputs on that module that are all level sensors for waste water tanks. My question, is there any way to find out which channel is causing the fault in the modules diagnostics?

Here is the error message. "Specialty module in slot 1 has generated a generic fault. The card fault bit is set (1) in the module status byte."
After a power cycle the fault clear. But after about 45 min the same fault has been generated. I checked all the junction boxes that the analog wiring comes in to, it all looks good. Now could one of the analog devices generate the fault? or could this be the module itself?

Mickey once the fault is generated the modules Channel status LED's are off, and the Module Status LED is off

Last edited:

Yes I tried to reseat the module and the RTB, after the power cycle the fault cleared, than again after 45 min the fault generated I have a spare module, but I want to make sure that the problem is not coming from the analog signals.

Last edited:
May not be your issue, but might be worth checking the date code on the affected module. We had a few of these that caused us some random pain.

Rockwell Automation Support Center
69003 - 1746-NI8 anomaly - module status LED off

Product Family: 1746-NI8 Analog Input Module SLC
Specific Catalog Numbers affected: 1746-NI8 Series A
Date codes affected: 0202 to 0803 (MMYY)