Sending an email with ML 1400

Sudds

Hello to all,

I am trying to send an email with a micrologix 1400 ser b. The hardware I have so far is,

· 1766-L32BWA 32PT ML 1400 DC IN RELAY
· 1766-MM1 ML1400 MEMORY MODULE
· 2711C-T6C PANELVIEW C600
- 9300-RADES REMOTE ACCESS ETHERNET SWITCH

I have read the reference manual "1766-rm001_-en-p" for the ml 1400. And carefully read the pages starting at pg 481 "Email functionality". When I have a chance I am going to post up some screen shots of the msg setup screen and the channel configuration for channel 1 and channel 1-smtp.

At the moment I have the panelview in port 1 in the rades switch, plc in port 2, cat5 cable used to program the plc and hmi in port 3, and internet source in port 4. I can communicate with each device thru the switch with no issues and plc and hmi have no issues communicating with each other thru the switch.

As far as I know plc I have is capable of sending emails thru channel 1. However I have channel 1 connected to the rades 9300 and the network also connected to the rades. Is this my problem? Does anyone know if the plc is capable of sending out the emails thru the rades 9300?

I bought this switch because I thought I could use it to connect to the controller remotly and also send out emails when the correct conditions are met.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to help me get started with sending out emails?

The goal of my project is to design a control panel that will monitor and control a 4 bay coin carwash. I am fairly comfortable with the ladder logic, and programing the panel view, but I am not at all familiar with sending out messages or remote access.

Thank you,

Paul

Last edited:
I am fairly comfortable with the ladder logic, and programing the panel view
sudds this could solve your problem use a c-more there easy to setup
and low cost
http://c-more.automationdirect.com/features/email.html
there are others out there too. I don't know if the red lion will do email but a lots of folks on here use them. maybe you could use the panelviev else where?
best regards, Steve

I got my problem resolved, thank you for the replies. I was simply trying to use an email server that was being blocked by my isp. Now all is good. I am now working on simple web pages that I can view remotly. The location where the plc is now has a static ip addy and I can update the logic remotly as well. Really cool stuff. Just for info sake, the rades 9300 was not the problem. I will buy a cheaper switch next time though. Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Sudds