Profibus Class 2 master - Siemens PDM

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have what appears to be a somewhat unusual configuration.
I have a Compact Logix, with a ProSoft Profibus DPV1 master card, which is connected via purple hose to a Profibus DP/PA 'power block'.
Out on the PA device end, I have a device that needs a Class 2 master, in order to configure it.
The Prosoft books mention Siemens PDM, which I have a copy of now, but I am still a bit perplexed.
How do I connect the Siemens PDM software platform to the Profibus DP network, in order to configure this instrument that needs a Class 2 master?
I never thought I'd ever say "DeviceNet is easier", but it is.
This is a bunch of alphabet soup, with no dictionary.

Ok bit confused. Clarify. Oh and yes DeviceNet is much easier than Profibus - just my experience.
The ProSoft profibus DPV1 master card is in a PC and is a Master ?
The compact logix has a slave profibus card/module on board ?
the Profibus DP/PA power block ?
What is a class 2 master - similar to AB FlexIO ie looks like slave to the network but is a master of it's own network although RSnetworx can configure through the Scanner to the class 2 master.
Can one not configure using the Siemens PDM software through the master to the DP/PA.
Maybe a simple sketch.
Normally one sets the Profibus network through the master but your arrangement is well different umm! jesper ....

No, I disagree, Devicenet is harder, kinda. Depends on platform.

Class 2 master is not Class 1 master like PLC for example. Class 2 master does not have slaves and it cant cotrol them. HMI for example would be class 2 master. Class 2 master can configure them tough.

You need pc profibus interface card that can act as class 2 master. If you have siemens field pg, you already have one in it.

With PDM i have no experiece, i know it can be used from within hw config of step7, but i think it must be usable in other way too.

With one Metso Automations software I have used, has nice parameter page for devices.

It could be as easy as to, hook up the laptop to pb network, fire up pdm (im sure it needs gsd), give slave number and connect.

Sketch attached.
The real issue is how to "attach" the laptop with PDM on it, to this network. I'm thinking a Profibus/MPI device (serial/USB).

siemens 001 (640x448).jpg

Pdm

OK..I am going to assume that you have a compactlogix with a Profibus DP master card and either a DP/PA link or DP/PA coupler as a slave. Correct?
You cannot used the routing feature that is provided in PDM if you do not have a Siemens S7-400 PLC. Therefore you need a computer with a Profibus DP card and a Profibus cable. Connect the computer DP card directly to the Profibus DP port on the DP/PA coupler. When you open PDM on the computer, you have the ability to use the autoscan feature. Using autoscan, the DP/PA coupler will appear then the PA device. By default, the address will be 126. You will need to change that address and there is a utility in PDM to do so.
What you are trying to do is not so easy if you do not have any experience and not using Siemens equipment. There is a lot more involved in getting this system to work. Please let me know if yo follow what I just wrote and I can then provide you with more details.

I posted after your diagram

I never have used the P&F device only the Siemens coupler. But I would believe that it works in the same manner. In my opinion, you still need to connect into the DP bus to access the PA devices using PDM.

Getting There...
After some side-steps, I discovered that I could, in fact, connect PDM to the DP network (and, by extension, the PA network) using a CP5711. Now, there's not much information out there on the CP5711, but I was lucky enough to have drivers already loaded. So, that went well.
What is still a bit bothersome is the amount of files that are spread around on the PC (actually, two PCs). The 'comverted' GSD files for the Prosoft Congifuration Builder, as well as the DD/DTM files in the library for the PDM.
A file management challenge.
But, progress is being made.
Not for amateurs, for sure.