984-Quantum

Jbradbury

Can't get the processor type to change over smoothly, error messagees include User loadables will not transfer. I also need to change the number of drops to 2 but this is illegal.
Help!!!!!!!!

The user loadables will not transfer between 984s and Quantums as they are actually compiled C code. The interface a loadable has to the 984 or Quantum is different. You will need to modify the source code and compile it using the Quantum user loadable developement kit. These were not available the last time I asked, but that was a few years ago.

You should have mentioned that you have user loadables.

We make motion controllers for the 984 and Quantum and our customers had exactly the same problem you had when they wanted to upgrade the Quantum but still use the 984 I/O. We ended up giving the source to our user loadables that communicated with a motion controllers to a Modicon engineer. The Modicon engineer recompiled the code and it worked. However, the next time the Quatum was upgrade the user loadable didn't work. The Modicon engineer was reluctant to get into this support loop every time a firmware upgrade was made to the Quantum. In the end we ended up showing the customers how to communicate with the motion controller without the user loadables. These user loadables really made things easy for the 984 users. It was painful when the customers had to add 12 to 20 networks. In some cases they were not able to write these 12 to 20 networks correctly or didn't have the room for them.

I think you should consider writing the networks you need to replace the user loadable. It will not be fun.

The motion controller we designed for the Quantum was designed so that no user loadables are required. This reduce the headaches significantly.