rslinix and firmware update

bce123

Lifetime Supporting Member
does anyone know if you can update(flash) a compact logix controller firmware from rslinix? I have gone through bootp and set an ip and can see the controller in rslinix and i select the controller it gives an option to update firmware can this really be done with a new controller?
Thanks, Steve

You have no choice but to update a brand new compactlogix controller as it is shipped with a very basic firmware in it.

The firmware update is done by ControlFlash which you can launch separately or you can get to it in RSLogix5000 the way you described (from the "who active" window).

dmroeder, so this is normal to do it over e-net I have never done it that way allways serial but I dont have a serial cable here?
Thanks, Steve

I always do it over Ethernet. No fun doing it over serial plus it leaves the controller vulnerable for much longer. Flashing over Ethernet takes just a couple of minutes.

No problem.

We use L31's occasionally, so what we did to save time with those is update a controller, then store it to a flash card with the setting that will update the firmware on power cycle. Then when we get a new one, we just put that flash card in and cycle power. Much faster than doing it over serial every time.

Hello.. We have this Compactlogix Controller with Catalog Number: 1769-L32E. This was sent to us by the supplier in replacement to defective controller of filter press. During the firmware upgrade from 1.15 to 16.21 revision, upgrading was cut-off with indication of ok flashing red. Now, the controller will not communicate anymore in RS program. The new assigned ip address and the factory default ip address cannot be recognized by the RS program anymore. We have tried both Ethernet and Serial cable but failure to communicate again with the controller. Prior to upgrade we follow the correct procedure to prevent power loss, we use RSLogix 5000 program and RSLinx Calssic Lite as communication software. Controller battery was also new and installed before upgrading. Is there any way how to solve the problem?

You have hijacked BCE123's Thread, but at least it is related.

Have you cycled the Power on Processor? If you haven't. DON'T!

If you have access to the RA/AB Knowledgebase Article 46603 talks about this.

It is possible you have Bricked you Processor, and will have to send it back to AB.

Stu....

Last edited:
Edit: Read sthompsons post and try his suggestion first.

Those processors flash the firmware of the controller, reboot, then the update the firmware of the Ethernet adapter.

If the the controller was interrupted during the Ethernet adapter portion of the update then you may be in luck. I would recommend removing the battery for 15 minutes, then trying the update again (via serial connection since the Ethernet adapter is giving you trouble).

We have successfully recovered ones that failed when during the Ethernet adapter update. Good luck!

Edit: Read sthompsons post and try his suggestion first.

Those processors flash the firmware of the controller, reboot, then the update the firmware of the Ethernet adapter.

If the the controller was interrupted during the Ethernet adapter portion of the update then you may be in luck. I would recommend removing the battery for 15 minutes, then trying the update again (via serial connection since the Ethernet adapter is giving you trouble).

We have successfully recovered ones that failed when during the Ethernet adapter update. Good luck!

Been there, done that and it works. The reason I messed up is because I used bootp to set the IP but failed to disable bootp while doing the update. When the processor rebooted it was unable to get an IP so the update failed. After removing the battery it worked.

You might also want to Download the latest Control Flash package. I have heard people have had better results with them.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43434

Stu....

Thank you sthompson.. Sorry for invading this thread. This is my first time logging in to this site. :site: But i cannot access the allen bradley. i think there is a problem during registration. Can you provide me with this latest control flash package? This would be much more appreciated. Thank you very much. By the way, we have already done removing the battery for 24hrs but it did not worked at all..