Proface w/ control - any experience/comments

Good morning,

I see in the forums that there are at least some individuals with Proface experience. I'm looking at trying one, but wanted to hear more about experiences with the "PLC" control side. Is there a separate software for this, or is it built into the GP-Pro-Ex? Is it ladder or list mode programming?

I've been using Pro-Face for 3 or 4 years now. It's very simple ladder logic using tag names instead of bit numbers. The cpu is in the touchscreen. The very best part is only one USB cable, (or Ethernet) to program any of the newer units. The software was supplied by the distributor, I'm not sure if we paid for it or not...I'm not a purchaser. Our supplier is good for support and also their help line is good too. I know everything I said sounds trite, but I'm happy with using the Pro-Face.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply fishenguy! Does the software do both the Visualization part and the PLC part? I see that GX-Pro-EX does the visualization, I guess I'm curious to know if it does both..

The software is for writing both the screen and the logic. It is really simple to learn...I'm not an engineer, just a control electrician. I picked it up with minimal training from the supplier.

Dave

I've never encountered a problem with writing a program using Pro-Face. I don't claim to be a professional programmer, but I've been able to control any analog or discreet I/O that I've encountered. I guess the best thing to do is contact Pro-Face with any special programming needs to see if it is capable of it.

Dave

Proface Comms

Downloaded the Rockwell Native Project
which included an acd file
Loaded the acd and plc is running
Loaded the GP project and only changed the IP address
in the Device/PLC setup screen under device name
How do I run this as a standalone HMI on a PC
None of the tags update in simulation mode, nor preview
Thanks