Stuck trying to upgrade a Panelview Plus 1000 from firmware version 5.10 to 6.0

DaveWilson

Hello to everyone,

I am new here and have a question concerning a PanelView Plus 1000. The PVP is current on firmware level 5.10.00.09 (CPR 9 SR 2), I want to upgrade it to version 6.0, but when I run the Firmware Upgrade Wizard it does not see the .FUP file that was downloaded from the Rockwell Site.

Do I have to have a Panelview Plus 6 terminal in order to a ME 6.0 application or am I missing something in upgrading the current PVP 1000 to a version where I can install my ME 6.0 app.?

Thanks for any help you can supply

Dave

I'm not entirely certain, because I haven't used a ver. 6.x PanelView + yet, but I don't think you can upgrade a pre version 6 panelview to version 6. I believe that version 6.x panelview have significant hardware upgrades to support version 6.

yeah everything I have read on the internet talks about PVP6 terminals when talking about ME 6.0, I haven't found anything yet that definitively says that you can't upgrade.....which is what my boss is looking for.

I'll bump that to 100%: The PanelView Plus 6 terminals are all-new hardware.

A pre-v6 hardware terminal cannot be upgraded to run v6 firmware.

FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0 and 6.10 can create Runtimes for older terminals; that's what I do to support the pre-v6 terminals in my stable.

I'll bump that to 100%: The PanelView Plus 6 terminals are all-new hardware.

A pre-v6 hardware terminal cannot be upgraded to run v6 firmware.

FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0 and 6.10 can create Runtimes for older terminals; that's what I do to support the pre-v6 terminals in my stable.

Ken,
Does that hold for the "compact" versions as well?

The "Compact" models were v5 hardware with reduced memory. I know for certain they can't be upgraded to v6 firmware, and I don't think that there are v6 "Compact" terminals yet.

yeah everything I have read on the internet talks about PVP6 terminals when talking about ME 6.0, I haven't found anything yet that definitively says that you can't upgrade.....which is what my boss is looking for.

If by chance your boss does not take Kens word for it (which you can take to the bank) then check out KB article 116376 (access level: everyone)

I am new here and have a question concerning a PanelView Plus 1000
I think The OP is asking about using 6.0 software on the above panelview I think it should work?
you just have to do like ken said:
FactoryTalk View Studio 6.0 and 6.10 can create Runtimes for older terminals

Last edited:
I think The OP is asking about using 6.0 software on the above panelview I think it should work?
you just have to do like ken said:

He did ask about the hardware as well, I suppose it was a two part question.

...The PVP is current on firmware level 5.10.00.09 (CPR 9 SR 2), I want to upgrade it to version 6.0, but when I run the Firmware Upgrade Wizard it does not see the .FUP file that was downloaded from the Rockwell Site.

Yes it seems I misread or misunderstood the OP. I recently went to a show and tell on the plus 6 This question was asked about upgrading and the response was it is a hardware upgrade with no plans to allow the end user to do this, However it was suggested that AB might be doing this in their service center(I wonder if that meant subbed out) But no definite answer was given.
best regards, Steve

Thanks guys for the answers!

I am trying to convert my ME6.0 application back to 5.10 and am getting a fault. I select "Create Runtime Application" under the application pull down. I then select to save it in the 5.10 format.

The fault appears shorly after starting the conversion process. The fault is "Unable to save tag database". I tried deleting any tags under the HMI TAGS folder and still the problem appears. Any ideas?