Power Outage Data Memory Issue

DKahmer

Hey guys, I'm doing some more PLC work and was hoping that you could help me out!

I've got a gear spinning that has a magnet attached to it, there is a prox sensor that picks up the magnet as it spins to measure rotations. Every rotation adds a 1 to a Data Memory storage. After 15,000 spins it adds a 1 to another and then resets the first (I'm trying to get to 3,000,000 so I had to cascade them.) At the start of my program I clear the two DMs so that everything is at 0. The issue is that if there is a power outage, or someone throw the breaker without realizing, I lose the value. Do you think there is a smarter way to do this so that it will reset only during an initial startup and not if there is power loss?

(Do PLCs store DM if there is a loss of power?)

There are a million ways I could fix this, like use an input to reset but I want to know if there is a better way to do this.

As you have described DM for your registers, I assume the PLC is an Omron. Yes - battery backed up.
If you clear the DMs with the first scan flag you will wipe out the accumulated and battery backed up DM area as you have programmed.