Compatclogix 5335E controller firmware update problem

minaykha

hi everybody,

I am new comer to AB PLC.

I am trying to download a program from my computer to my controller.

i am using RSlogix5000 software and compactlogix L35E controller.

Pls check my attachment pictures,pop up window showing that i need to update the firmware.

i clicked on update firmware button.

Installation took about 40 minutes and finally failed to update and warning message box showing that my controller not in proper mode.

Actually i put my controller in program mode, so it should be correct.
I tried both in Remote mode and program mode.But same warning message showing that my controller is not in proper mode.
I used Rs232 serial port for communication.

Can anyone help me to solve the problem ?
How can i proceed to update firmware and download my program to PLC.

Thank You all,

download problem4.jpg download problem 5.jpg

First of all it is strongly suggested to update the controller firmware using the Ethernet/IP port, not the serial.
Especially for L3xE controllers, the firmware contains so much data to be transferred, and the chances of a communication failure are high.

Then, start the ControlFlash Utility from Start, Programs. Do not start the "embedded" ControlFlash from RSLogix 5000 software.

Here other important things to check:

PLC should be in PROG mode
The 1769 power supply should be within 4 slots of the processor
The endcap, 1769-ECR, should be installed on system.

I suggest to read and follow instructions inside chapter 2 of the following manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/iasimp-qs010_-en-p.pdf

It is for L23E controller, but procedure is the same.

- fuzzy logic

I'm not sure about this, but is it possible that you can't update this controller to V17?
I see you're coming from V1, maybe you have to install V13 before, or it is not supported at all...

We have a ControlLogix L55 here which is supported till V13.4, if I want to V19, there is another CPU needed.

@Damian, it is just due to some bad experiences... using it since the time where it was only a separate utility, I've seen that it is much more reliable when running separately rather than from within the RSLOGIX 5000.

Errors similar to the one indicated by the OP happens often, just launching it from there... :confused:

Just my two cents...

@nightline, there isn't the needs to install different level of firmware to have that controller updated... it is not the case.

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
First of all it is strongly suggested to update the controller firmware using the Ethernet/IP port, not the serial.
Especially for L3xE controllers, the firmware contains so much data to be transferred, and the chances of a communication failure are high.

Then, start the ControlFlash Utility from Start, Programs. Do not start the "embedded" ControlFlash from RSLogix 5000 software.

Here other important things to check:

PLC should be in PROG mode
The 1769 power supply should be within 4 slots of the processor
The endcap, 1769-ECR, should be installed on system.

I suggest to read and follow instructions inside chapter 2 of the following manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/iasimp-qs010_-en-p.pdf

It is for L23E controller, but procedure is the same.

- fuzzy logic

i've been through a few cases that Problems may occur when updating L35E's firmware with E-Port,The cpu has been damaged and return for repair.So After that,i never use E-Port any more,Serial-Port Only,but this case only happens on L35E,Never seen on L61,L62,L62S......,dunno why.

@eMpty Here we're talking about very different hardware, L6x controllers haven't an integrated Ethernet/IP port... firmware upgrade for L3xE controllers needs to be applied also to that card, the same you're using for the connection.

CompactLogix firmware Release Notes contains some useful and important informations about things that users have to be aware prior to start a firmware upgrade, avoiding then to get the controller bricked.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rn/1769-rn019_-en-p.pdf
See Page 4

[excerpt]
Ethernet traffic on the controller’s Ethernet port may cause the ControlFLASH utility to time out during the firmware upgrade. If the timeout is not handled properly, you may render the Ethernet port on the controller inoperable, requiring you to return the controller to Rockwell Automation for repair.

- fuzzy logic

The cpu has been damaged and return for repair
who paid for the repair?
I seem to remember a quick start vid about not doing this with e-net
I just did an l32e the other day with e-net and it worked fine I have done l35Esbut not with e-net. Does AB have a tech note on this?

@eMpty Here we're talking about very different hardware, L6x controllers haven't an integrated Ethernet/IP port... firmware upgrade for L3xE controllers needs to be applied also to that card, the same you're using for the connection.

CompactLogix firmware Release Notes contains some useful and important informations about things that users have to be aware prior to start a firmware upgrade, avoiding then to get the controller bricked.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rn/1769-rn019_-en-p.pdf
See Page 4

[excerpt]
Ethernet traffic on the controller’s Ethernet port may cause the ControlFLASH utility to time out during the firmware upgrade. If the timeout is not handled properly, you may render the Ethernet port on the controller inoperable, requiring you to return the controller to Rockwell Automation for repair.

- fuzzy logic

i Hate reading instructions sometime......,i know it's not a good habbit.:D,maybe the cable i use is not so good.
I make no bricks when updating L3XE,but my mate isn't that lucky,he's got 2......

who paid for the repair?
I seem to remember a quick start vid about not doing this with e-net
I just did an l32e the other day with e-net and it worked fine I have done l35Esbut not with e-net. Does AB have a tech note on this?

It's sent to Rockwell China to be fixed.But it spends a lot of time to come back so i always buy one backup when operating a project......,in case of someone who's not that lucky.

Hi All,

Thank for all of your information.

But,i still can't solve the problem.

Now, the problem is that i can't key in my controller catalog number inside the Control Flash utility software.

When i key in my catalog number 1769-L35E and then i can't press the next button.

I only can choose either , 1769-SDN or 22-SCM-232 . If i choose these two, finally alarm message box come out and showing that my catalog number is wrong.

What can i try for next step ?

Thank in advanced.

This means that the ControlFlash kit for the CompactLogix controller is not installed on your computer.

You must install this from the RSLogix 5000 DVD, or download it from the Rockwell Software update server.

Again, you need to install the ControlFlash software kit that includes the CompactLogix.

Download it from RA and install it*, and the CompactLogix will appear in the list of devices that you can update.

*Start at support.rockwellautomation.com
Select Software Updates, Firmware, and Other Downloads
Select Firmware Updates
Select Control Hardware
Choose the CompactLogix model and firmware revision you want to download
Enter your RSLogix 5000 Serial Number
Download and install the ControlFlash firmware kit.