Home Automation Project...

Uncas

Hello World.

I've been following this page for quite some time, since 2005. And I believe that it's very helpfull and informative.

I'm making a dream project, maybe that's all it's going to be, for home automation. I was designing the hole place to be automated via a PLC.

I want to be able to do many things that you could do with prepackaged items, the thing is I wanted all to be communicated with each other, hence I tought a PLC could do everything I want and even more.

Here's what I'm planning:
1. Power Monitoring System on each branch of the circuits (up to 24 lines plus 2 (110) lines.
2. To be able to access and control everything from the internet.
3. Write some routines to imprve the efficiency of the house.
4. Have a couple of HMI distribuited through out the house, maybe one on the front door and one on the main bedroom.
5. Have the alarm system work through the PLC, it could send an email if there's an intrusion.
6. Have the sensors conected to the PLC so you could pinpoint where the alarm event was triggered.

So the big question: is a PLC overkill for this application?

If it ever becomes a reality I'll be doing it in parts. The first thing I'll do would be the power monitoring and for that I quoted the parts with Automation Direct. I understand that they have good equipments @ good prices. Any other references? I could also use used equipments.

Well so much for a first post.

Uncas.

No, because there are PLCs in many different models, sizes, and capabilities, and price range. You simply pick one that matches your needs.

A main thing to consider (for the Power Monitoring system) is the voltage level of your Inputs and Outputs. For home wiring, you need PLC inputs adn outputs rated for at least 120 volts AC, but 240 VAC would be better. That would allow direct inputs (instead of having to go through some interface device).

At the same time, for your Alarm system, the sensors are generally low-voltage DC (12 VDC in many cases). To get both AC and DC capabilities in the same PLC, you need one with modular card slots, so that you can pick and choose the cards.

Last edited:
I have a friend who did this with a Unitronics Vision 130. He has everything you have listed and even took it a bit further and has alot of the information going to his cell phone. So far he has been real happy with the system.

Really it could be consider overkill but at the same time if you tie multiple household systems into it I could see it being a savings. Look at it this way, if you put your alarms on it and tied it to your cell why would you need a monthly plan with an alarm service.

When I build my next house I have PLC control in mind and will build to allow me to make use of it.

Not overkill, but inappropriate in my opinion.

I've seen several of these automate-my-home-with-a-PLC threads come up in the past few years. While it's certainly doable with a PLC, there are prepackaged control systems designed specifically for home automation that would easier to implement and maintain.

My biggest concern (if I was doing this in my house) would be resale value. Assume that the next owner knows nothing about electronics or programming. Troubleshooting of a home automation system could probably be done by a resourceful residential electrican. Working on a PLC-based system, however, would require the homeowner to find an industrial electrician with PLC experience. Considering that the average Joe doesn't even know what a PLC is, chances are good that the system would just be abandoned.

Of course, if you don't care about resale and are just in it for the challenge, then by all means go for it! (y)

I have a friend who did this with a Unitronics Vision 130. He has everything you have listed and even took it a bit further and has alot of the information going to his cell phone. So far he has been real happy with the system.

Really it could be consider overkill but at the same time if you tie multiple household systems into it I could see it being a savings. Look at it this way, if you put your alarms on it and tied it to your cell why would you need a monthly plan with an alarm service.

When I build my next house I have PLC control in mind and will build to allow me to make use of it.

Could you think there's a way I can contact him for his expirience? [email protected]

Could you think there's a way I can contact him for his expirience? [email protected]

I can ask him. When he created the system we were both starting to use the Unitronics PLC. He started the project more or less to get a feel for the PLC. I started with them as a cost effective design for our simplier pannels. His orginal reason for the systm was due to his toddler son running out doors and randomly opening windows in the house. He did the cell phone part as an after thought.

I woulld suggest you take a look here for details on the Unitorincs PLC. All of the Vision 130 PLCs list for less than $600. They are expandable if the onboard I/O is not enough.

Last edited: