viewing multiple elements in numeric display

churtig

Hi,
I'm trying to display the different values stored within an array's elements through a single numeric display using FT View Studio. I'm connected to a compact processor. My goal is to have a number punched in a numeric input and that value be the element number I want to display in a numeric display. I've looked and can't get answer for this so I'm posting. Perhaps I'm just messing up the syntax. For my numeric display I have:

{::[CKTech1]Program:MainProgram.Pulse_Counts_R2[{[CKTech1]Robot2ProgramTS}]}

{::[CKTech1]Program:MainProgram.Pulse_Counts_R2[xxx]} = the array that I'm trying to pull each elements value from by changing the "xxx" value using the numeric input

Does this not work like this or should I be doing it a different way?
Thanks for you help!
Chris

As far as I know, indirect addressing isn't supported inside FactoryTalk View...

bernie's suggestion is a workaround.

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
thanks for the quick info! I've been playing with it all morning with errors but figured it was something I was doing wrong. Unfortunately, I'm looking to basically create a search feature from the HMI where I type in the value and the element's value is displayed. My goal then would be able to adjust that element's value. But seeing what I'm up against in programming I may not bother! Thanks again guys.

Hi,
I'm trying to display the different values stored within an array's elements through a single numeric display using FT View Studio. I'm connected to a compact processor. My goal is to have a number punched in a numeric input and that value be the element number I want to display in a numeric display. I've looked and can't get answer for this so I'm posting. Perhaps I'm just messing up the syntax. For my numeric display I have:

{::[CKTech1]Program:MainProgram.Pulse_Counts_R2[{[CKTech1]Robot2ProgramTS}]}

{::[CKTech1]Program:MainProgram.Pulse_Counts_R2[xxx]} = the array that I'm trying to pull each elements value from by changing the "xxx" value using the numeric input

Does this not work like this or should I be doing it a different way?
Thanks for you help!
Chris

Hi Chris,

I've only worked a little with the Control/CompactLogix family of processors, but I've done something similar on a SLC 500 processor a few times.

What I would do is creat a couple of extra tags, something like "Pulse_Count_Display_Pointer" and "Pulse_Count_Display_Value". Input the position in the "[CKTech1]Program:MainProgram.Pulse_Counts_R2" array that you would like to view in your Numeric Input. This value will be connected to the "pointer" tag. Then MOVe "[CKTech1]Program:MainProgram.Pulse_Counts_R2[Pulse_Count_Display_Pointer]" to "Pulse_Count_Display_Value". Do this in your ladder logic, since the FTView does not support indirect addressing, as Fuzzy Logic pointed out.

"Pulse_Count_Display_Value
" will be the tag displayed in the Numeric Display.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hope it helps.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

Thanks bmacattack33!
I guess I didn't let my mind wander far enough to think about moving this back to the PLC for manipulation. I think what you have should defiantly work though for what I'm looking to do. I'm out today, but I'll see how it goes on Monday.
Thanks for sharing your input!
Chris

Thanks bmacattack33!
I guess I didn't let my mind wander far enough to think about moving this back to the PLC for manipulation. I think what you have should defiantly work though for what I'm looking to do. I'm out today, but I'll see how it goes on Monday.
Thanks for sharing your input!
Chris

Hey, glad I could help.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum!

It works perfectly. I added three rungs to the ladder logic which not only got the display to view the appropriate value from the array but it also got me the ability to increment/decrement the value stored as well!
Thanks again!
Chris

It works perfectly. I added three rungs to the ladder logic which not only got the display to view the appropriate value from the array but it also got me the ability to increment/decrement the value stored as well!
Thanks again!
Chris

Excellent! Glad to hear you got it working.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻