History lesson for GE

mapman88

Hi All,

I have moved from a larger Allen Bradley plc controlled plant to take over mtce on a couple smaller older plants. I have been given a laptop with Logicmaster 90 software and Proficy Machine Edition.

At one plant there are three units; all three have GE plcs with CPU782 in them. All three units have HMI's. Two units have Fix 5.65 for Windows with rack mounted computers running Windows 3.11. The third unit has Fix32 6.1 for WindowsNT and Windows 95 with a standalone PC running Windows NT.

The other plant has Cimplicity HMI, with Proficy Machine edition, and looks like the same plc's in the racks (not sure on those CPU Numbers).

I am looking for someone to provide an historical improvisational adventure into the bowels of GE nomenclature, and help me get up to speed somewhat. Any comments appreciated!

I am looking for someone to provide an historical improvisational adventure into the bowels of GE nomenclature
What terms are you having problems with?

Logicmaster 90 is the old DOS-based PLC programming software, similar to the AB 6200 software. Proficy Machine Edition is the current PLC programming software.

Fix is HMI/SCADA software.

Cimplicity HMI is HMI/SCADA software similar to Fix. Fix used to be a competitive product to Cimplicity, but now GE owns both products.

Their support web site is the place to start.
You will need Proficy ME and possibly Development software for the varied HMI implementations.
As to the GE 'History" its a boring story so I'll let Steve fill it in, he was there in person for most of it, I only started about 1987 or so as a user then in 1989 as a distributor.
Find out who your assigned distributor is and who your GEIP Channel Managers are(is).
Search here, at the GEIP Forum and at MrPLC for specific questions or post them for new answers.

One thing you have going for you is that if they have not had any problems with the system recently they must have been very well engineered and implemented. Also it is about time so you may have a lot of 'job security' here if you learn quickly. :)
CPU782 implies 90-70 systems which are on their way out but can be Imported directly into the new PAC RX3i with little or no manual tweaking.
I suggest that one of the first things you do is contact your GEIP rep and get a migration quote and timeline. This should include the HMIs. If that is all they do "Just HMI" insist on switching to something simpler, like QuickPanel View either Win CE or Win XPE. Pressure your rep. to help with a conversion. :)

The way GEIP differentiates between "Fix" and "Cimplicity HMI" to day is Fix is best for a 'Process system' CimHMI is best of 'discrete systems'.

Last edited:
What terms are you having problems with?

Logicmaster 90 is the old DOS-based PLC programming software, similar to the AB 6200 software. Proficy Machine Edition is the current PLC programming software.

Fix is HMI/SCADA software.

Cimplicity HMI is HMI/SCADA software similar to Fix. Fix used to be a competitive product to Cimplicity, but now GE owns both products.

Thanks for the comments. Just looking to figure out what I have here, and how they are related.
1. So if I get a license dongle for ME, Could I start using ME at both plants, instead of Logic 90 at the one, or are there other factors involved?(I have a dongle at the ME plant)
2. So iFix is the current Fix product, and GE still sells iFix and Cimplicity both?
3. I see folks mentioning the CPUXXX for the processor. Are some CPU's good to go with only Logic 90 or only ME? (The plant using ME has CPX771, and the plant using Logic 90 has CPU782)

Last edited:
90-70 directly to R3xi? Do you mean the R7Xi? R3Xi is backwards compatible with the 90-30 which have. CPU-3xx models as opposed to the 7xx cpu. They work the same, Just look different.

90-70 directly to R3xi? Do you mean the R7Xi? R3Xi is backwards compatible with the 90-30 which have. CPU-3xx models as opposed to the 7xx cpu. They work the same, Just look different.

The RX3i is designed to take the place of the 90-70 also. The only exception would be where the only I/O that will do the job comes only in full VME form, such as ultra high speed analog.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Just looking to figure out what I have here, and how they are related.
1. So if I get a license dongle for ME, Could I start using ME at both plants, instead of Logic 90 at the one, or are there other factors involved?(I have a dongle at the ME plant)
2. So iFix is the current Fix product, and GE still sells iFix and Cimplicity both?
3. I see folks mentioning the CPUXXX for the processor. Are some CPU's good to go with only Logic 90 or only ME? (The plant using ME has CPX771, and the plant using Logic 90 has CPU782)

1. Most likely, but verify the firmware version first. Generally the CPU7xx are older than CPX7xx. They can be updated by purchasing new Prom chips.
2. That is correct.
3. See #1. You will find the version needed by clicking "What's new" in Proficy ME then look in the 'Hardware' or similar tab.

Good luck, and have fun.

Last edited:
I was speaking more the lines of being backwards compatible with the physical hardware. As in legacy moduals fitting on pac daughter boards.

I was speaking more the lines of being backwards compatible with the physical hardware. As in legacy moduals fitting on pac daughter boards.

I am referring more to the whole system. As the classic 90-70 I/O modules are no longer being made.

The r7xi allows retro-fitting without a total rebuild. The 90-30 is on its way out. We are going purely r3xi for all new projects with a few upgrades (90-30 to r3xi) being done a year.

The r7xi allows retro-fitting without a total rebuild. The 90-30 is on its way out. We are going purely r3xi for all new projects with a few upgrades (90-30 to r3xi) being done a year.
Personally I would not upgrade the 90-30 to RX3i unless the 90-30 system is not capable of handling the job. The 90-30 will be around for a long time yet, the only upgrade they may need in the short term is maybe a new CPU with Ethernet to make them better connected to a SCADA or plant wide network. The RX7i is not a good choice to replace a 90-70 system because of the lack of support for the 90-70 I/O. One could replace a 90-70 today with an RX7i, but in a few years something will need to be done to add or replace I/O to the system. Besides that one can get nearly a whole system for an RX3i for the cost of a RX7i CPU. :)

Our standards have changed and UDFBs are being used more and more. Ethernet on the 90-30 isn't bad, just doesn't use standard modbus over ip, as all the inputs, outputs and registers are repacked into other registers(?). I do like the 90-30, don't get me wrong, but its time to move on, that is if you have the time and money!

1. Most likely, but verify the firmware version first. Generally the CPU7xx are older than CPX7xx. They can be updated by purchasing new Prom chips.
2. That is correct.
3. See #1. You will find the version needed by clicking "What's new" in Proficy ME then look in the 'Hardware' or similar tab.

Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks RUSSB,
How do I find the firmware version at the plant w/ CPU782 and Logic 90 software?

Logicmaster 90 software will display its version level when you launch it.

For the CPU modules, the last two characters of the part number track the revision level. For example, if your CPU module has part nummber IC697CPU782HC, that would correspond to revision level 6.00. The IPI (Important Product Information) datasheet for the CPU782 is GFK-0770* with the "*" designating a revision level of the document. Each revision of the document details a different version of the module firmware and its associated enhancements and bug fixes.

Be aware that if the CPU has had a field firmware upgrade, the sticker on the module may no longer corrspond to the actual firmware level. You can check the level by going online with Locicmaster software and navigating to the Status (F3 from the main menu) page.

Get the PACsAnalyzer utility to get almost all you need to know about each system with the least amount of time, it will put it into a text file that you can archive for future reference also.
Everyone who uses or only once-n-a-while runs into a GEIP (Fanuc) processor should have this utility in their software toolbox.
It will connect to nearly any Series 90 or newer PLC or PAC either serial or Ethernet and give you a report of the system. (Faults, I/O Modules, Firmware rev, etc.)
You can download it from a link on the bottom of this page, oh yeah a GE SSO is NOT needed. :) Get it here:

Last edited: