Need help with expression on Factory Talk View SE

JoseM

I have this FTV SE project that uses "Global Object Displays" and one of this object describes a valve. One of the items that shows is a label that changes between "Open" and "Close" to show the state of the valve.

I'm trying to find out what makes that label change states. I dig in on the object and came up with this expression; {#102.Cfg}. The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out where is coming from and what it does.

Can you guys explain to me a little more about this type of expressions. I believe this is some sort of "Non-HMI Tag". Also, can I find the solution to my problem on the RSLogix5000 code.

That's a "Placeholder".

You can designate a "Parameter File" to accompany the opening of a Display in FactoryTalk View. That Parameter file includes a set of Placeholders which are related to Tags.

If you launch a display with #102 = "Inlet", then the expression you cited is "Inlet.cfg"
If you launch a display with #102 = "Outlet" then the expression you cited is "Outlet.cfg"

Look for Parameter files in the project and check the "Open Display" buttons for association with those Parameter files.

Ken thank you.

I've being trying to load this FTV SE (network) project on my laptop so I can play with it at home. I did a backup of it and was trying to restore it on my machine and now is asking me for login credentials to let me open Factory Talk view.

What can I do to fix this problem. Before I try to restore this file I could see the examples that come with FTV now it won;t let me open at all.

Ken,

I checked the FTV project and in the explorer on the left, under the "Parameters" there is nothing created.

The expression {#102.Cfg_EU} is linking that graphic response to something in the project and its driving me nuts that I'm not able to find it.

(AOut_String Display_EU1) is the name given to that small graphic that I'm trying to decipher.

When I do "Edit Object", it takes me to a "Process Graphic Library" and when I rigth click in it to open the "Properties" it just shows me the expression {#102.Cfg_EU}.

Take a look at where that display is being called from. Find the button that calls it. Most likely if you open the properties of that button you will see either the parameter file or the parameters themselves.

The parameters can be included with the button itself or they can be in a parameter file which the button calls when pressed.

OG

I found that on the global object area I could look at "Global Object Parameter Definitions" and I saw where they define the "Tag Placeholders" #102.

Then I went to the actual "Reference Object" on the display I've being investigating and open the "Global Object Parameter Values" dialog box and there the placeholder was define as #102=ZIC_701.

I went to the RSLogix5000 PLC program for this project and after looking at the tags, I found the "ZIC_701", tag.

Now, the two expressions that I see on this graphic object are the following;

#102.Cfg_Label
#102.Cfg_EU

what puzzles me is that by looking at the expressions, it seems that only two characteristics can be customize but when I looked at the display in run-time, I can see the "Label" which is ZIC_701, I can see the "Engineering Unit" which is %, but there is also the word "Open" or "Close" that changes base on the condition of the valve. Here is where I'm confuse because I don't know what condition they are using to swap between "Open" or "Close".

Last edited:
That is defined in the HMI Tags. Digital tags can have an On and Off label. Instead of the default "On" and "Off" they have configured it as "Open" "Close".

Open the HMI tags in FT View and locate the tag.

OG

The text could be any number of things. Can you open the display in development and identify what exactly that object is? Is it text or a string display, or something else? I'm making guesses here. Screenshots are good too.

OG

Solve

Here are some screen shoots. I think that I'm dealing with a "String Display".

I have same problem with you and I solved it.
The difficult thing here is: The tag cfg_Eu don't display in parameter, So you can't config it in parameter table.
You must right click in the addon instruction, go to the local tag table of that addon and after that you can see the tag "cfg_eu". You change its value and OK.
Note: It's the local tag in the addon instruction, Not parameter