SLC 5/05 Error Code

firebrd10

My maintenance men have been Complaining about a press that is randomly faulting. They tell me all they have to do is switch from run to program and back to fix it so.... That is what they do. The problem is that I have no idea what the error was.

I tried placing a rung at the end of the main routine which would clear math overflows and Major errors. The rung would also latch a bit to let me know that it executed.

The press faulted again today and my latch was not set.

Questions.

1) Will going from program to run unlatch a bit?

2) Is there anyway I can capture the error?

3) What Situations would give a rack data error. I assume this error was logged when I was bench testing the processor with the wrong IO. Is there a way to clear it???

Thanks in Advance

Tim

In AB PLCs memory stays on unless cleared by program or user.
Check Errors tab of the S2 data file (S:20, 21, 29, 6, 54).
In the last rung of your program or just before you clear errors, simply copy those values to some file like N100.

firebrd10 said:
1) Will going from program to run unlatch a bit?

2) Is there anyway I can capture the error?

3) What Situations would give a rack data error. I assume this error was logged when I was bench testing the processor with the wrong IO. Is there a way to clear it???

#1. No. Once a bit is latched, it will remain latched until logic resets it.

#2. Yes. Add a fault routine to the program. In the fault routine, you want to set an internal bit to let you know you had a fault. You will also want to clear the fault. This will clear the fault but will not clear the fault code. Switching the key from Program to Run clears the fault but it also is clearing your fault code.

#3. In the SLC the I/O Configuration must be defined in RSLogix. The controller compares "what should be there" to "what is actually there". If they do not match, the SLC will fault and the fault code will indicate which slot the error is coming from. If the config is wrong, it will not run at all.

If you need help on how to accomplish #2, just post and I would be happy to give you some directions (if someone else doesn't beat me to it!).

OG

Last edited:
In case you have an HMI attached to the SLC:
Program a display of the address S:6 "Major fault error code".

The next time the CPU faults, instruct the operators to note down the fault code before resetting the CPU.
In that way you can even trouble shoot the error by phone. No need to have RSLogix connected.

Thanks for the help guys.

I finally caught the press in the fault condition this morning. It was a data slot error fault for slot 4. I had an extra OW16 so I just swapped it out and crossed my fingers.

Has anyone ever had a card just go flakey and fault every once and a while or am I possibly looking at a rack issue?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Tim

Okay, Now the whole story.

2 Months ago we decided to do a PLC and panelview upgrade on this press. (5/03 to 5/05) (PV550 to PV600) Plus an Opto 22 unit and some added I/O.
The first step to this process was maintenance installing a Vortex cabinet cooler to keep all the new hardware nice and cool. A week after the cooler was installed we had to do an emergency changeover to the new system because of a dead PV. We blammed this on the vortex cooler which seemed to be blowing rust from the airlines into the cabinet. We then installed air filters and tubing to redirect the air away from vital components. I had my fingers crossed that the PLC was not damaged aswell but it looks like we weren't that lucky.

It faulted again last night.

The next logical step was the rack so I Butchered our maintenance trainer for parts. (See if they ask me to fix anything again) LOL

It has been running fine all night and I guess I will give it a few days before I mess with it again.

I did notice that the auxilary chassis grounds were missing off of the bottom screws. So that will be my next step.

Is this going to do what I want

Tying to log a fault error

I inserted this rung right before the end of the main ladder.

Will this collect the correct information for me???

[attachment]

untitled.jpg