Building a robot

chrsand

Hi.

I want to build some kind of a robot butler.

So i have a lot of questions at this early stage.

I have a base with 2 wheelchairmotors incl. gearings and rubberwheels, that I control with analog output on my Siemens plc 314C-2PtP over 2 x 24Volt 20Amp H bridge motor drives. I can control the direction and speed.

If i want to do some accurate positioning with this robot, I’m thinking of adding some encoders. I don’t have much experience in encoders, nor how to program them, so any advice or tip about this would be highly appreciated. I guess my 314C-2PtP can be useful.

I’m hoping, that I somehow can get this robot, to repeat a earlier driven route, but I guess that friction between the wheels and the floors will make it very difficult. I have been lookin at some linetracking sensors, but I’m hoping I can achieve this without these sensors.

I think that, if I add some distance sensors, and I somehow save the measured distances, when moving around in the house, then maybe I can use them, in the plc-program, helping getting the same route repeated.

I also have some powerful 24 Vdc actuators from Linak, (capable of lifting more than 200 pounds) that I could use for the arms of the robot.

My plc only has 2 analog outputs, and I’m wondering what would be the smartest thing to do.

Should i get some more analog outputs and motor drives for the arms, or is there a smarter way ?

Regarding the hand (or hands) of the robot, I believe it is gonna be difficult, because I want the hand to be able to grip, turn and wrist, so there is gonna be some mechanical work there. Any suggestions for the motors for the hands ? (I’m thinking of servomotors, but I dont know if they are powerful enough, and also here I don’t have much experience in programming servos).

o_O

Christian

if you search Youtube for robot rides - yo will get an Idea of servo ability. pay attention to the axial movements

they are far more precise in both movement and positioning.
as you have only two analogues you will need to look carefully at you drive control carefully.
there were some earlier posts on encoders so if you search over the last 5 or 6 days you will find this.

Friction, power supply, etc will need to be taken into account.
Ultimately the functional adjustments should cater for this, if you have correctly sized drives and motors.
be wary of voltage drop in high DC load circuits

---- Side note ----
try to keep related post's one one thread, I noticed your other one.