Panelview Plus Compact df1 to slc communications

cjones1

I have a Panelview Plus Compact 600 and am trying to communicate with a SLC504 through the RS232 comm port with no luck. I can see the Panelview on RSLynx with my laptop connected through the RS232 and am using factory talk 6.00.00 and creating my runtine.mer with 5.10. Does anyone know the correct communications setup for RS232 to SLC for both the Factory talk communications and the SLC504 setup?

This should be fairly straightforward, especially because you have proven communications with one software package. But there are a handful of things that can trip you up.

RSLinx Classic is the software with a standalone GUI and a nice Autoconfigure feature in the DF1 Full Duplex driver. This is the software you use to connect RSLogix 500 to your controller.

RSLinx Enterprise is the communications driver whose configuration GUI is embedded into FactoryTalk View Studio. It has the separate "Development" and "Runtime" configuration tabs. The PanelView terminal uses the Shortcuts and driver definitions from the Runtime tab.

The PanelView Plus terminal has a "DCE" type serial port, as opposed to a "DTE" type serial port on your computer. You need a straight-through serial cable to connect the PV+ to an SLC-5/04, as opposed to the "Null Modem' type cable used to connect your computer to the SLC-5/04. This can be an ordinary serial cable from a third party vendor, a PanelView-specific operating cable, or a PLC programming cable like the 1747-CP3 with a Null Modem Adapter attached.

The PanelView terminal considers its onboard serial port to be COM1. If you create a driver in RSLinx Enterprise that points to a different Windows COM port (like that used by a USB/RS232 adapter) you need to manually edit that port number either onboard the PanelView or in the RSLinx Enterprise Runtime tab.